"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/28/17

Mittens for KnitWits

A couple weeks ago or so I went over to Jan's house to help her with the job of getting the KnitWits items sorted out and bagged for our next meeting. The distribution meeting. When I walked in the door of her house I saw mittens and hats and scarves and afghans all over the place. Stacked on tables, lined up on the floor in several rooms. We've made a lot of things. In the course of working on the task at hand, Jan mentioned we are 80 pairs short on child size mittens. In other words-we received requests for 80 pairs more than we actually have. We have 44 baby layette sets, and need 80.

This happens every year, of course. It is impossible for us to make enough to fill the needs of our county. It leaves a person feeling overwhelmed and somewhat frustrated because we want to help everyone, but we can't. I went home that day feeling a great need to make some more mittens in size Child 5-7 before our next meeting. Here's the first pair.



Pattern: Classic Mittens No. 615 by Bernhard Ulmann Co.

Made For: KnitWits

Size: Childs 5-7

Yarn: Unknown Acrylic
Content: 100% Acrylic
Color: Aran

Needles: Circular size 5

Started: November 10, 2017
Finished: November 16, 2017

Comment: I am getting bored with stockinette stitch. So I did some Little Garter Check on this pair.




Now, I have a confession to make.



Last Sunday evening, I was working on my computer and got so engrossed in what I was doing I neglected to keep attention on Zoey. She managed to get the mittens down off the dining room table. She chewed the thumb off of one of them. Urg. So the above left mitten no longer exists. I have made a replacement though. Did almost all of it last night. Just need to finish up the thumb. I'll be so glad when Zoey grows out of her puppy mentality.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment