"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/5/16

Fibonacci Socks

I can't believe I have finished the socks. Hurray! This has been one of the most challenging things I've knit in a long long time. I learned so much doing them. I feel like I could take on any fairisle/stranded color work project now.


Fibonacci Socks

Pattern: Fibonacci Socks from Op-Art Socks by Stephanie Van Der Linden
Size: Mens size 8 shoe

Yarn: Down Home Art Yarns Sock by Knitivity (discontinued)
Content: 75% Superwash Wool/25% Nylon
Color: Blog Reader Special Dark Greens

Yarn: Fearless Fibers Classic Merino Sock Yarn
Content: 100% Superwash Merino Wool
Color: Lime Kiwi

Needles:  Circulars size 2

Started: October 8, 2016
Finished: December 4, 2016

Comments:  I can't believe how long it took me to make these. I had to unravel or just plain rip out so much before I got it right. I did not knit these exactly as the original pattern is written. I didn't think they would fit the person I've made these for (Christmas present), so I modified. I cast on 72 sts and did 1.5 inches of twisted 1x1 rib, then sort of used the stitch patterns over my usual pattern for making socks. I've done a Dutch heel on them too just because it's my favorite.



I love the stitch pattern on the sole. I'd like to make a pair of socks using just that pattern.



I do like how the heel turned out. My standard Dutch heel.



There are mistakes in both socks that I chose not to fix. I had a lot of trouble with the gussets and that's where the mistakes are.



I sure hope the recipient of this gift likes them. All that work!

Snow has come to the Parkarosa. We actually got a couple inches, and then it all melted. Yesterday we had a very weird weather day that ended with just a little bit of fresh snow. Here's how the yard looks now.



The temperatures have dropped low. I woke up this morning to 14F degrees. It did not get above freezing today. Zoey doesn't seem to mind it, which is weird considering how little fur she has. She isn't particularly thrilled with snow, but it doesn't bother her either. She likes to eat it and that's about it. Maybe if we get some deeper snow her opinion will change. Right now it's crunchy and not much there.

Still waiting for the fence company to come build our fence. I'm getting frustrated now. They keep saying "Next week." Well, we've 'next weeked' a whole month away now. In the meantime, Zoey has decided she doesn't need to come when I call her if she's off leash outside (our trainer said she's entered that stubborn age). So no more off leash for her. She wants to take off into the woods. She did it twice last week and I had quite a time getting her back. We need that fence!

One more session of dog obedience class. We went today, but not much happened because Zoey and I were the only ones who showed up. I felt like we should still be getting taught, but the trainer disagreed. She did a little bit with me to teach Zoey to not jump up on people, so I guess I did learn something new, but after about 10 minutes, that was it. I did purchase a collar and tag for Zoey after class. With her taking off, I think she needs to have a tag on her with our phone numbers on it, just in case.



I made the last of the reservations for our Star Trek Cruise. I got us plane tickets and hotel rooms. Can't walk to Miami from here. We decided to arrive 2 days early and spend a bit of time in Miami, also flying home the day after we get  back to Miami. With weather in the winter, I didn't want to take a chance on missing the boat because of bad weather.

My next knitting project will be a pair of stranded color work mittens for another Christmas present. They're done with worsted weight yarn, so they should knit up fairly quickly.

Well, that's the news for now.

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment:

  1. Those socks are amazing! I especially love the close-up you included so I could see all the pretty shades in that lime color. Zoe sure is cute. I hope the fence folks come soon.

    ReplyDelete