"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/30/15

Cable Knit Park

I've been trying to write this post for several days now, and not having much luck. We've had a really rough time the past couple weeks here at the Parkarosa. First, we had a storm that knocked out our power for 3 days. It was the worst storm damage to the power grid in this area ever. We had winter temps to go with it. We got our power back, and then a couple days later a real tragedy happened.

Saturday night, the 21st, my beautiful dog Cable went out of the yard out onto the road in the dark. She was hit by a car and killed.



I am devastated. I could hardly function for about 3 days. Then I started to come out of it and go back to living my life, without her. I still hurt so very much though. I miss her more than I can say. We don't know why she did it. We speculate that perhaps she was chasing deer because she was hit where the deer are known to cross the road in front of our place and we've had quite a few of them around lately.



The person who hit her took off and left her dead in the middle of the road. We were unaware of this at the time. A few minutes later a lady was driving by and saw her. She stopped to check and see if Cable was alive, which she wasn't. So she pulled her to the side of the road, then drove up our driveway and knocked on our door to inform us. She gave me a ride back out to the road. I could not believe my eyes. My precious Cable is dead. I immediately burst into tears.



Doug walked out to the road from the house, so the lady stayed with a semi-hysterical me until he arrived. Then she left. I thanked her for telling us what had happened. Doug then walked back to the house to get our pick-up truck because she weighed 60 pounds and neither of us wanted to carry that much weight that far.



I was bawling like a baby on the side of the road holding Cable. Another lady drove by and saw me. She stopped, got out of her car, and asked if I needed help. I told her my husband would be here shortly to take my dog back to the house. She offered me a hug. Initially, I turned it down, but she walked over and grabbed me anyway and hugged me. I bawled on her shoulder. She stayed until Doug returned with the truck. I thanked her for the hug, and for caring.



We buried Cable later that night at the edge of the hill in the backyard, where she liked to lay and watch for wildlife down below to chase away.



The car that hit her suffered some damage. There is broken plastic all over the place. It gives me some small comfort knowing that.



Despite my grief, I am quite touched by the two very caring strangers who stopped by that night. When I think about it, it's really quite amazing. It's nice to know there are still caring and kind people in the world who will stop to help and comfort someone they don't even know.



So I've been somewhat depressed the past few days. It's so different without her. I find myself doing things like opening the door to call her in the house, cooking an extra piece of meat for dinner for her, and making sure I don't step on her when I get out of bed, despite the fact she's not there any more.



I am so glad we were able to take Cable to see the ocean. She loved it there.



And we took her with us on our trip to Michigan. She really enjoyed that trip. She loved riding in the car, looking out the windows, and just being with us.



I know that Cable was a very happy dog who knew she was loved, and I know she loved me. I was very lucky and privileged to have her in my life for the 4 years we did. I wish I had protected her better.

Rest in peace my beautiful girl.


Live long and prosper. \\//

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. Hope it costs the idiot who hit him a fortune to fix their car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss! Hugs and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is breaking for you. She was truly a beautiful dog and I can see how special she was. I am sure the person that hit her didn't mean to but they should have stopped to check on her and move her. Thank goodness two good people came by to help you. I'm so, so sorry. I lost a very special dog almost 11 years ago and I still miss him so much - it just leave a big hole in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so very sorry for your loss. In all the years of having dogs I have lost three and I know how much you feel your loss. Your pictures of her are such a great tribute to the love you two shared--Here is a poem or saying that comforted me so much when I lost my last little dog I hope it will comfort you some like it did me-it was given to me so I am not sure where it originated.
    What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All the we love deeply becomes a part of us.
    Hugs and prayers sent to you.

    ReplyDelete