"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/18/15

Layette Fever

So, this has happened.



Loving the pattern. It's a fun one. Definitely liking the top down knitting too. Especially for baby sweaters.

I've got a bit of what I'm calling Layette fever. I tested my new Slit Edge blade for my rotary cutter and IT WORKS! Finally, an awesome easy and quick way to get good holes in the fleece. Now I'm all fired up.

Then, on Thursday I popped into Joann's for some white thread and buttons and stumbled over a clearance bin full of kits for no-sew fleece blankets. It was a really good deal! (Should have gone to Rathdrum Drug for that thread. Lol!)



Each kit has 2 pieces of fleece 60 by 72 inches in coordinating prints. You're supposed to cut the edges into fringe and tie the fringes of the 2 pieces together. Instant double thick fleece blanket. But I'm going to cut them up instead and make baby blankets. I can get 8 baby blankets out of one kit. I bought 4 kits at $9.97 per, and then I had a 25% off entire purchase coupon. I end up paying less than a dollar per blanket. There were some very pretty prints that will work great in colors not usually associated with babies, which is what I'm looking for. I like to make baby things in non-traditional colors.

Now I'm all excited about making the layettes. I can get quite a few done before December rolls around. I will be getting yarn at the next Knitwits meeting for the new fabrics.

Yesterday morning, at 3 am, I drove sweet hubby to the airport. He's off to do Ragbrai, which is a bicycle ride that spends a week going around the state of Iowa. I guess it's pretty popular. They get as many as 10,000 participants in it. Our daughter Sarah is riding with him. I'm a little worried about this one because it's only been 3 months since his stroke. However, Sarah is with him and it's a supported ride so if anything happens, there's help. He left feeling pretty confident, so it's probably all going to be fine and I'm worrying needlessly.

The heat of summer is returning this weekend. We've got a week in the 90's ahead of us. So thankful for the air conditioning. So thankful to my sweet hubby for working so hard so we could afford the air conditioning. He really is an awesome guy.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment