"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/12/14

Going Offline For A Bit

I had plans to take my camera outside and take some pictures today. Clover is growing thick in our lawn this year. Our lawn needs mowing, so the clover is blooming. It looks gorgeous at certain angles. Then I was going to work on packing our trailer for a camping trip we are planning to start tomorrow. However, my day didn't go as planned, so not only do I not have clover pics, but I have no pics at all. And no packing got done.

Life is never dull at the Parkarosa.

Last night, around 11pm, our water well croaked. The pump quit working, permanently. I'm blaming it on Sue. She's the one who was trying to do her laundry. (I love you Sue!) Actually, the pump is more than 20 years old and it's died a natural death of old age. It's something we all hoped wouldn't happen before we could actually plan to replace the pump on our own terms. Didn't happen that way.

Needless to say, there was some panic. We are having the hottest temps of the year right now. Not having water is a bad thing. It's going to take time to get our well back into working order, and it's gonna cost a LOT of money. My in-laws and husband kicked into action very quickly. I'm quite impressed.

So, I spent the day running errands, including buying a whole lotta bottled water. I have potted plants all over my deck that need water, or they're gonna die. Did I mention it's HOT? Upper 90's today. It's supposed to get up to 100F degrees tomorrow. Also, daughter Ruth is not going on the camping trip. We needed to set things up so she'll be comfortable without running water. We're using the hot tub water and a bucket to flush the toilet. Paper plates and disposable utensils will be used for food consumption. She's planning on using the employee restroom where she works for cleaning up. If she needs a shower, friends have offered their facilities.

Tomorrow morning, very early, Mike (a member of the family who worked in the well business until he retired) will be bringing in a crew to pull the pump out. It's at the end of over 350 feet of pipe down there in the ground. Today sweet hubby and his brother got the area around the well house ready for the job. Small trees were taken down, the brush was mowed to make room for the trucks and all that pipe being pulled up, and they removed the roof over the pump. We're ready.

After the pump is pulled up, a list of parts and things we need to order will be made. Then most of the Park clan is going camping. We figured since we've gotta live like we're camping anyway, we might as well go ahead with our planned trip. The park has actual running water and toilet facilities. Home does not. I will do that trailer packing while the guys pull the pump.

On Monday morning Mike will order the parts. With any luck, they will come by Wednesday, at which time he'll call us. We'll pack up and come home to get things installed. If that goes well, we'll have water by Thursday.

Now, on Thursday, we are scheduled to drive over to Newport, Oregon for a wedding (We're camping on this trip too). One of my nephews is getting married the following weekend. (Originally, we were leaving the campground on Thursday morning, coming home for a quick shower and exchange of dirty clothes for clean, then heading on our way to Newport.) Hopefully, the plan we have now will work out and we can get out of here on time for that wedding.

I'm so glad I didn't grow a veggie garden this year.

If the well was gonna croak, it actually picked a good time to do it. Everyone was taking the week off from work anyway for the camping trip. We're making improvements while we're at it. I mean, since it will be taken all apart anyway, might as well upgrade it. When it's all fixed, our well will not only be better than it was originally, but it will be good for another 20 years.

Keep yer fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it all went when I get home in a week.

Live long and prosper. \\//


No comments:

Post a Comment