"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/6/13

Red Mittens

Finished projects today. Two pair of mens mittens for Knitwits


Red Seed Stitch Stripe Mens Mittens

Pattern: Seed Stitch Stripe Mens Mittens by me, made for Knitwits.

Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Cranberry

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5

Cast on: July 4, 2013
Completed: July 16, 2013

Comments: I altered the pattern some to make them larger (mens large). I cast on 48 sts and knit the hand above the thumb gusset until a total of 9 inches from the cast on edge. Total finished length is 11 inches. I also knit 18 rows on thumb before decreases. I am going to enter these in the fair this year.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Red Checkered Mens Mittens

Pattern: Seed Stitch Stripe Mens Mittens by me, made for Knitwits.

Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Cranberry

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5

Cast on: July 20, 2013
Completed: July 29, 2013

Comments: I altered the pattern to make them size mens large as I did with the pair above. In addition, I used a basketweave check stitch pattern as follows:

Rnd 1-5: K4, P4 around.
Rnd 6-10: P4, K4 around.

Repeat these 10 rounds throughout.

Knit thumb in stockinette stitch.



~~~~~~~~~~

Sweet hubby and daughter Sarah are away on their bike ride this week. I am taking advantage of the hubs being away. On Saturday evening Ruth and I went and saw Despicable Me 2. We had popcorn and candy for dinner and had a great time. It was a funny movie and we laughed a lot.

On Sunday Ruth and I went to the Spokane Valley mall and perused the make-up in Macys.  I had to go there anyway because I accidentally left a bag (from Sears) with a pair of black Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in the shoe department last Wednesday. (The daughters and I had gone shopping at the mall that day.) We both bought new eye-shadow compacts. I've always wanted to try out their makeup, but the price always put me off. I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, neither colorway was in stock, so they had to ship them. Mine arrived today. Ruth's will probably arrive tomorrow.

After Macys, we went to the nearby Barnes and Noble book store. It's one of Ruth's favorite stores in the area. Well, I must admit, I love it too. We had a great time digging around finding books we couldn't live without.

Today I went grocery shopping and bought nice steaks for dinner for the two of us. I barbecued them. They turned out delicious.

One other thing I did was clean the couch. It was beginning to smell kind of - bad. One of the great things about my couch is I can remove the covers off all the cushions-seat and back- and throw them in the washer and dryer to clean them. It's a challenge getting the cushions back into the covers afterward, but nothing I can't handle. So much easier then getting upholstery cleaner and going through all that rigmarole.

The weather cooled off rather nicely last week. I enjoyed it. On Friday, though, it rained and rained. I didn't think it was ever gonna stop. Since then things have dried out and now it's hot again. Was 90F degrees today. My bedroom is so hot right now I don't know how I can sleep in there tonight. I think I will sleep in the living room on my freshly cleaned couch. It's nice and cool in there with the air conditioner in the window.

Speaking of the couch, this is what it looked like this morning when I got up. I'd put a blanket over the naked seat cushions to protect them until I could get the covers back on them. The boys clearly had taken over.

Yes, I did make that crocheted afghan on the back. I made it in the
1980's. It was a Herrschners kit.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment