"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/15/13

Making Wigs

Technically, I've made one wig, so far. The two wigs I got for Ellie got me to wondering, and the next thing I know I'm reading tutorials on how to make wigs for dolls. I found some that used yarn and just HAD to try it. Here's the result. Lizzy (Great Depression Lizette) gets new hair.



A close up from the front.



This is a view of the back.



And this is the top. I hand sewed that part on there.



Basically, I used some 4-ply worsted weight acrylic yarn, and some fingering weight acrylic. I used the fingering weight to crochet the wig base, or cap. It looked like a beanie hat done in double crochet when it was done. Then I cut a whole bunch of lengths of the worsted weight yarn. I separated the strands of each piece, and latch hooked them around the post of each double crochet stitch. After that, I made the part and sewed it on. I finished up by very carefully brushing it so it was all spread out in a circle, (I used the thin handle of a comb. An actual brush was destructive.), steaming it just a bit, then trimmed it into the style I wanted.

I really like how it looks. In fact, I like this hair style better than the one Lizzy came with. However, this wig is not as good as one made with actual hair, mohair, or synthetic hair. It's very soft to the touch being acrylic, and it can be pulled apart very easily so brushing it is out. I think the staple length of the acrylic fibers are too short for it to be like actual hair. Or maybe it's just the staple length of this particular acrylic yarn (Vanna's Choice). Perhaps a better quality acrylic would work better. I will have to try it and find out.

I did this based on parts of 3 different tutorials I found on making yarn wigs for dolls. Here are links to them if you want to try it.

Tutorial on Flicker

Tiny Mohair Wig for Dolls

Making a Brushed Yarn Wig

That last tutorial is about making wefts with yarn and then sewing them to a cap. I want to try that one next. I also want to try my hand at using bought mohair wig wefts too. But that will be for another day.


Great Depression Lizette in her original outfit and new hair.

So many ideas! So little time!

Live long and prosper. \\//


No comments:

Post a Comment