"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/30/13

Of Dolls, Cabochons, and Gardens

I have a couple FO's to share today. I'll start with the knitted one.


Modeled by Penny

Little Black Dress

Pattern: Little Black Dress by me.

Yarn: Nomi Lee Lorraine
Content: 100% Acrylic, lace weight
Color: Black

Yarn: Boucle' (unknown brand name)
Content: 100% Acrylic, lace weight
Color: Black

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 0 and size 000

Cast on: April 21, 2013
Completed: April 29, 2013

Comments: This dress is a prototype for the design I'm planning on selling. I am quite pleased with how it has turned out. I will make some changes though. I didn't like using such thin needles, and I don't need to use needles that thin. The fabric is just a bit stiff. I'm going to rework the pattern using size 2's. It will be a little easier on the hands.

Detail photo of the neckline and sleeves. Neckline is 1x1 rib.

Modeled by Penny

I embellished with a bit of bead embroidery. I used size 15 seed beads. The hem is also 1x1 rib.




Yes, I think this will do. Maybe make it just a little more 'shapely'. The boots don't quite work with this dress but it's all I have at the moment. I do have shoes on order that will be better.

Modeled by Penny

Now on to the beading!

I have finished the bead embroidery part of this months Seadbeadersters challenge. I'm calling it Peaceful Lakes for now.

 

I used 3 glass cabochons. They are connected to form one focal pendant. I used 3mm firepolish crystals in blue, copper, and green, size 11 matte teal and lime green color lined seed beads, size 15 silver lined turquoise blue and silver lined royal blue seed beads, and some pale green leather for the backing.



Detail photo of the edging, which was fun to do.



There are little bushes growing by the lakes.



The colors are very soothing to my eyes.



This will be a necklace. I haven't decided what kind of chain to make. I'm kicking around half a dozen different ideas.

Yesterday was very productive for me. Besides finishing the above projects, I started the garden. On Sunday I talked my husband into roto-tilling the garden for me (which wasn't easy). I'm planning to have a successful garden this year come hell or high water. Usually I would not plant anything until Mothers Day, but after looking at the weather predictions, I decided to go ahead and plant Sweet Peas, Carrots, and Beet seeds yesterday.

Part of the 'arguement' I had with Sweet Hubby over the roto-tilling job is that he didn't want to help weed anymore. He hates gardening (this is news to me) and doesn't want to do it anymore. I was trying to figure out what he's talking about cuz he doesn't help weed. But he sees roto-tilling between the rows to keep the weeds down as weeding. Funny, I never thought about it that way, but he's right. Technically it is weeding. So, basically, he'll roto-till for me to start the garden but he wants nothing else to do with the garden the rest of the season until it's done, then he'll roto-till it again. I countered that it was gonna cost him money if that's the way things were gonna be (I need proper tools). He said spend the money. So, an agreement was reached.

The points are very sharp. Almost killed
myself getting it in the car.
First thing I did yesterday was go buy a new hoe (cuz the old one is not fun anymore). We have a new hardware store in Rathdrum so I popped in there to see what they have. Lo and behold! A Garden Weasel! I've been wanting one of those for ages! Sold!

When we first moved here, before we had our own garden, I used to help out sis-in-law Sue with her garden. She has a Garden Weasel. I used it and loved it. Been wanting one of my own ever since. They are so hard to find around here.

My new hoe is fancy. It has a padded handle. Luxury! It was nice to use when I dug the trenches for the seeds.

To keep the weeds down between the rows I plan to get some kind of commercial mulch. I'm thinking maybe paper mulch because it can be roto-tilled into the soil at the end of the season and becomes fertilizer.

So, that is the plan so far. I'm getting the things I need to make gardening easier on my back, and more fun. So new tools. Hurray!

Live long and prosper. \\//

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are one busy lady....knitting, beading and gardening. I love the dress and necklace. Can't wait to see the chain you put with it.

    Hugs
    G-Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are busy! DId you know you can lay pieces of cardboard and newspaper directly on the ground to control weeds? It's called sheet composting. I had great luck with it in my last garden. We killed all the lawn using it and planted a bird and butterfly sanctuary garden.

    ReplyDelete