"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/17/13

How It's Made

I ran across this video of how Red Heart yarn is made earlier this week and thought I'd share it. It's fascinating.


I don't really care for Red Heart yarns and rarely if ever buy any, but I find myself using them quite a bit because of all the charity knitting I do. We, who are in Knit Wits, don't complain about our yarn donations. We just use them.

I have been knitting this past week. Pics to come later. I've started the main fairisle section of the Octopus sweater. Aside from a couple pairs of socks, I haven't done any fairisle knitting by hand in years. I felt the need to re-educate myself on the subject before I got going on the sweater. I dug out some of my books on the subject and read them, and I watched a few Youtube videos on how to weave the longer floats as you go (found out I've been doing it wrong all these years). When I felt suitably educated, I started knitting. I am liking the results and having a ball. Why have I not done fairisle for so long? I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

I also finished knitting the baby sweater for Knit Wits. I need to block it before I take the pics. Should get that done today.

I even worked on the silver shrug I started before the vacation. Unbelievably, on Friday I was able to sit out on the deck in the sunshine and knit for the first time this year! It was 46F degrees and no breeze. Despite the snow still piled in places on the deck, I actually got hot sitting in the sun. And boy, did I enjoy it! Best day of the week!

Yesterday it was grey and rainy most of the day. I didn't do much of anything. I was super tired. I'm talking to-the-bone tired. Don't know where it came from. Maybe because I've been running busy since returning home. So I was pretty lazy most of the day watching movies on Netflix with the hubby. (We subscribed to Netflix the week before our vacation). I did some beading in the late afternoon though. My conscience was too guilty about doing nothing creative, so I gave in to it. I started an odd-count peyote bitty bead project. It's this months challenge in the Yahoo Seadbeadersters group. More about it later.

I hope you enjoy the video. The sun is shining again today. It's only 39 at the moment. I'm hoping it'll get above 40. If it does, I'm out in the sun knitting! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment