"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/21/12

WIP Wednesday 11/21/2012

I wasn't sure I was gonna be able to post on here today. I've been cooking since this morning. Around 1:30pm the power went out. I had just taken the Brandied Cranberries out of the oven and was getting the pumpkin pies ready to put in the oven. Arrgh. The power company said it wouldn't be back on until some time around 6pm.

There was a horrible accident at the end of the road we live on. Someone slammed into a power pole and knocked it down. It was gonna take time to get a new pole to install.

Fortunately, they way overestimated how long it was going to take. Power came back on at 2:30pm. So I stuck the pies in the oven, and that's when I found out we had no water. Sigh.

There are days when living in a rural area is NOT fun!

Brother-in-law Dan came home early and got it working again just a few minutes ago. So all is right with the world again.

You know what I wanna know? Who slams into a power pole so hard they knock it down in the middle of the day on a rural road? I hope they lived to tell about it.

It's WIP Wednesday. Here's today's entries.



Umm, yeah. This is the argyle sock.

This is what happened. I dug around in the sock yarn stash for  better colors. I wanted to keep the navy blue. I found a sort of medium blue to go with, but it was a bit darker than I remembered which made the white look way too bright. So I was digging around looking for something else to use for the white and came upon this variegated grey/tan/pale blue hank, named Patina, that I'd bought from Knitivity. It would go perfect with the other two yarns. There would be plenty of contrast between all three but not too much.

I sat down to wind the Patina hank into a ball. I decided to do it by hand rather than getting out the swift and ball warmer. Sometimes I enjoy winding it myself this way. I'm being one with the yarn, or something. I was winding, and winding, and winding, watching the colors pass through my fingers and I had this thought, "This yarn is really pretty. This yarn is way too pretty to use in argyle. It needs to be by itself."

That was the end of the argyle socks. I decided to make things easier on myself stress-wise. (Can I get argyles done in the time I've got left before I have to ship them to their intended recipient?) I looked in my stitch pattern books and found a simple one that would look good in the yarn, came up with a design and cast on. I've been happily working on them for 3 days now. I'm still using the navy blue for stripes, and contrasting heel and toe. I will be writing this pattern up for the pattern blog too. Sometimes the yarn just doesn't want to be what I have in mind. I will make argyles some other day.

Yesterday, while on the way to Rathdrum Knitalong, I suddenly remembered I am supposed to have a pair of purple mittens done for my little niece Katey by Thanksgiving.



When I got home I cast on asap. Fortunately, my daughter, Ruth, had a spare skein of Cascade 220 superwash wool in purple that she was willing to donate to the cause. I got the first one done last night and I'll have the second one done tonight.

Whew! That was a close one. I would never hear the end of it if I don't have those mittens for Katey this weekend. ;-) She asked me for them last August and I promised I'd have them for her when they came for Thanksgiving.

I worked on the second mitt while waiting for the power to come back on. I sat in a chair by the window for light. The air has been thick with rain clouds making it a bit dark in the house.

I think we got about 3 inches of rain yesterday. It rained so hard the roof started leaking in the laundry room. The water was coming in where the ceiling light is installed and dripping off the light bulb. Not good. NOT good! The last thing we need now is a leaky roof.




If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment