"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/12/12

The Rose Quartz Cabochon

Click on the pics to embiggen.


I've had this rose quartz cabochon for several years.



It was given to me by the gal who taught me how to bead.



I've always considered it kind of a blah sort of cab so I decided it needed some serious embellishment to brighten it up a bit. I was inspired by 2 things. One is Jamie Cloud Eakins book Dimensional Bead Embroidery: A Reference Guide to Techniques. The other was a photo I saw here on the internet some years ago of a similarly treated cab. Unfortunately, I can't find that photo to link to now. The web site is gone.



After embroidering around it with some seed beads, I made a peyote ribbon.



I affixed the ribbon to one side of the cab twisting it around as I went, then added some bling. This is the top view.



This is the side view. I've used an assortment of pink, white, and blue beads, crystals,



and small rice pearls. This is the bottom view.



I finished it off by attaching a spiral rope stitch necklace and the toggle clasp I made last weekend.



I am very very pleased with myself. I made that blah cabochon downright exciting.



Now I need to get something to wear it with.

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment:

  1. I'll say you made it exciting. It is downright gorgeous.

    Hugs
    G-Ma

    ReplyDelete