"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/23/12

Bead Acquirement

I had a busy weekend. On Saturday we threw a big surprise party for my sister-in-law Kathryn's birthday. I was working on it last week but I couldn't blog about it because sometimes she visits my blog. It was a lot of work, frantically planned and put together, but it went off very very well. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Everyone had a good time, and Kathryn was suitably surprised.

She is the one for whom I knit the Cats Paw Lace Scarf. I really honestly didn't know if she'd like it. Turns out she loved it, and so did her friends. They almost came to blows over who would steal it. (just kidding) I am happy.

On Sunday I took myself to Bead Stampede, a bead show held in October every year at the Spokane County Fairgrounds. I went by myself because I didn't decide to go until the weekend and I couldn't think of anyone I could call at that short notice. (Silly me. My friend Sandy would have gone with me.) But that was okay. I enjoyed myself anyway. In fact, I so rarely get to be just by myself these days it was kind of nice.

Anyway, I spent a couple hours browsing the booths and found a few things I decided I had to have. Got some great deals too cuz most of them were on sale. The first booth I stopped at was full of glass beads run by a very friendly fellow. He had a box of glass cabs he made that I took great pains to go through and found these two sets that are just SO gorgeous! This one makes me think of a bubbling brook.



This one sings Christmas to me. Literally. I found myself humming Christmas tunes the rest of the day.



I had a nice conversation with him. He told me he rarely takes his cabs to shows, but he always brings them to the Spokane show because they are popular here. I guess we inland northwesterners are more into the cabochon bead embroidery thing than other parts of the northwest. I found that interesting.

Speaking of cabs, I was in the market for something in stone, though I didn't really expect to find anything because Bead Stampede is predominantly about beads. But there was a booth that had this one and I fell madly in love with it.



 I do not know what kind of stone it is. I didn't think to ask. I will have to do some research.

Update edit 10/24/2012: The cabochon is Australian Chrysoprase.


They also had these strands that I decided I must have. The turquoise and tan rondelles are made of the same thing as the above cab.



I also have a strand of Labradorite, which is the grey beads with the iridescent blue in them, and a strand each of 6mm and 4mm of some Bronzite. I have larger 'focal' pieces in these two stones and bought these to go with them.

Eventually I made my way to the ZizzyZaza Beads booth, who hosts the show every year. I found some copper bead caps and an assortment of metal beads that I found intriguing enough to bring home.



When I go to Bead Stampede I'm looking for things I would not find in my local bead shops, for the most part. I found some of that.

I also look for what's New in the beading world. I didn't find any of that. I was hoping to find tila beads and the new twin seed beads, or the new kinds of dagger beads that I see a lot in the beading publications. I'm disappointed. I don't understand why no one around here is carrying them, well, except for the bead store here in Rathdrum. She has some of the Tila's.

I did get some horrible news at the show. I almost started crying. Beyond Beads Gallery in Spokane Valley is having a going out of business sale. After 21 years, Jody is closing the shop. She's moving to Maui (Take me with you!). It is the best and my favorite bead shop in the area. I am really going to miss it. Rats! I will have to make plans and take advantage of the great deals in her sale, which started yesterday. So I better get planning!

Yesterday I had to take the Camry in for it's first maintenance appointment. You know, changing the oil, rotating the tires, etc. I took along some knitting to keep me occupied while I waited. I worked on the lace cowl. Got a couple inches of it done. When I got home it was laundry and straightening up and cleaning the house to do. Then I beaded for a bit. I'm working on a lace bracelet in a fall colorway.


I'm on the third row of squares. The pattern has 5 rows. I'm thinking 3 is what I want. Anyway, I'm making progress on it.

Live long and prosper. \\//

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if they are both closing(or even affiliated), but Beyond Beads North 7452 North Division Street Spokane, WA 99208 has been my favorite bead store since I first set foot in it 5 years ago. They have the daggers, tilas, twins, peanuts, etc. I truly hope they aren't closing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond Beads North is not owned by the same person. As far as I know, they are not going out of business.

    ReplyDelete