"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/10/12

It's Green Now

Had a good weekend. On Saturday Ruth and I went into Spokane Valley and visited Hobby Lobby, Joann's Fabric and Craft, and Barnes and Noble. I was somewhat disappointed in Hobby Lobby. We went there in search of sport weight washable yarn in navy blue, or denim. I would have been happy with that. No such luck. They didn't have much of anything in sport weight, unless you want baby yarn, which I didn't. I did find and purchase some white, black, and brown sport weight acrylic which I intend to turn into Knit Wits projects.

I didn't find anything I wanted at Joann's. All they had was baby yarn in sport weight. All in all, a rather frustrating endeavor.

I did find something I wanted at Barnes and Noble though.



Showcase 500 Beaded Jewelry contains wonderful photos of 500 beaded jewelry projects made by beaders all over the world, some famous, some not. No patterns. Just pictures. Looking at them gets my creative juices flowing, though, and inspires me.

The Japanese Beadwork book has some very intriguing and beautiful projects in it that I hope to make some day. Sonoko Nozue uses lots of crystals in her work. Very sparkly. I like sparkly.

After returning home, we had a Star Trek TOS marathon the rest of the evening.

Our mailbox has been getting more and more beat up looking. Well, it has been hit by several cars over the years-before they took the curve out of the road in front of our house. And paint doesn't last forever. The black paint was peeling off in huge chunks, so I decided on Sunday I was gonna spruce it up. My plan was to try and bang some of the dents out, scrape the loose paint off with a wire brush and some sand paper, then spray paint it dark green and paint the address numbers on with lime green glitter paint. Sweet Hubby decided he was gonna help me. It was one of those situations where I appreciated that he wanted to help, but at the same time he was frustrating the heck out of me.  It didn't go at all the way I wanted. He made it so much more complicated, and, of course, had to use power tools. Urg.

Couldn't get the dent above the flag out.

The green glitter paint ended up on the pole instead of the mailbox. Don't ask. It'll just make me frustrated again. I drove into Coeur d'Alene to visit Home Depot to buy some reflective mailbox stickers for the numbers instead. It was just sooooo much less hassle. (Don't ask!) The important thing is by the end of the day the mailbox was spruced up all nice and green. It looks almost brand new!

After taking the pic of the mailbox above, Cable came over and asked me to take a picture of her too.



Isn't that a happy face? She has the most wonderful smiles. Have I mentioned she's herding the kittens? It's so funny. I've been leaving the back door open in the evenings to cool the house. Occasionally one, or both, of the kittens will go out the door and down the steps. She dashes out and herds them right back into the house. She's very gentle about it, bumping them with her nose to get them to go where she wants them to.

Last week I'd ordered some yarn from Knitivity. A couple of his Blog Reader Specials. It arrived on Saturday. I don't need them. Not even sure what I'm gonna make with them. I certainly didn't need anymore purple sock yarn, and yet....



I also got these matching skeins of Lace weight yarn. Mine!



That's my weekend, in a nutshell. Now for some kitten cuteness.

Merino hangin' on the back of the couch. They are growing so fast!



When we first brought them home I could hold both of them in one hand. Now it's one hand apiece, and they hang over from both ends. Cashmere was snoozing on top the cat tree.



He is quite the little jumper and climber. Quite a bit more advanced than Merino.

Merino decided to join Cashmere in the nap fest.

Squee overload! 

They are learning their names, and come when I call 'here kitty kitty'. They are also learning what 'NO' means, and they've been introduced to the squirt bottle which emits water only if they get up on the dining room table or kitchen counter. They are pretty smart little boys so they're learning the rules fairly quickly.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment