"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/24/12

Random Ramblings

We had an awesome weekend weather-wise. It was sunny and warm both days. I spent a good deal of time outside. I did a bit of beading, knitting, puttering in the yard, reading, and playing with the dog. It was quite relaxing.

I bound off the last stitch on the first Stacked Olives fingerless mitt. Still need to weave in my ends.



I worked on the writing of the pattern too. Now I need to knit the second mitt, and get some test knitters.

Sunday it was 79 degrees at my house! I repaired the Market Umbrella out on the deck. It broke the last time I used it last year. It was a fairly easy fix, so there was no sense tossing it and buying a new one, but It took some time. After I was done (and feeling very smart) I opened it up and set up some beading on the table. I beaded for a little while working on an amulet bag for the May beading challenge of the Seadbeadersters group. It's our choice for pattern, so I'm doing one that features an African technique that I've not done before. I will take pictures later.

That evening we went over to Dan and Sue's for the first official family barbecue of the season. T'was awesome. Cable and Tripper played hard for 3 hours. They were exhausted when we headed home. I had trouble getting her out of bed Monday morning.

Keeping cool in the shade.

Yesterday it was 82 degrees. A little too hot. Ordinarily, I would see that as a wonderful temperature, but just 4 days ago we were still getting frost in the morning. To go from that to 82 makes it feel more like 102. I'll adjust eventually. In the meantime, I've taken out the tank tops and shorts.

I have been enjoying the new deck furniture. In the late afternoon it is shaded by the house.



Around 5pm I sat out there in that shade reading a novel and enjoying the cool breeze while sipping ice tea. I finally cooled off and actually fell asleep for a bit. Very pleasant.

Some time ago I think I mentioned I was planning to make one of Laura McCabes necklaces from her book Embellished Beadweaving. It's actually the cover necklace. If y'all remember, I spent all the money I earned working at the fair on the beads for this baby. However, I was having a hard time finding the Keishi pearls required. They need to be flat, or cupped, and center drilled. That center drilled part was the kicker. I couldn't find anything local so I decided to substitute some round ones. However, the more I thought about it, the less I liked that idea. I needed the Keishi pearls for the necklace to look how I want.

I went online. Laura sells them on her web site, but she wants a LOT of money for them, so I went on a quest to find some for less money.  It took me 7 months but I finally found some.

I had no idea it would be so hard to find them, but I did at Beaded Impressions, for $17 a strand, I got exactly what I wanted. They arrived in the mail last week. HURRAY! Now I can start that necklace.



Which reminds me, I've had my eye on a 4pc set of luggage on Amazon for quite some time. I have a big black suitcase that looks just like all the other black suitcases, so it's hard for me to identify it when it comes down the baggage conveyor belt at the airport. I wanted purple luggage (natch!). Well, that luggage went on sale a couple weeks ago, so I ordered it. It was a great deal!



It arrived last week. I am extremely pleased with it. Very good quality luggage, and, it's PURPLE! I shouldn't have any trouble finding it now. What's more, that little bag there in front makes a perfect knitting bag. So I have a knitting bag that matches the suitcases. I will be traveling in style. Now, I need to go on a trip to try it out.

Today the day has started sunny and very warm. There are clouds on the horizon though. I've got Rathdrum Knitalong to attend. So I guess I'll sign off and get ready to go.

Live long and prosper. \\//



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finding the beads! I can't wait to see that necklace in progress. It looks like it's going to be incredible. Love the purple luggage! =D

    ReplyDelete