"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/30/12

The March for Women

What a weekend! I did something I've never done before on Saturday. I participated in a protest march. I joined the We Are Women March in downtown Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It was a great experience.

I usually avoid talking about politics on my blog because that's not what it's about. I prefer to keep my politics to myself, for the most part. However, this weekend was such a powerful experience for me I just have to share it.

In the last 2 years I've noticed a very disturbing trend in our fine country-the sneaky and steady attempt to erode, undermine, and flat out take away womens rights in both the Federal and State governments. Especially health and reproductive rights!

I know, I know. I don't have a uterus anymore, but I have daughters who do, and friends and family that do. Our mothers and grandmothers fought hard for those rights. Some even died for them. I am not going to stand by and watch them be taken away.

Did you know that since January 2010 there have been over 400 legislative bills attacking womens reproductive health rights alone? This is an unprecedented number of them.

In Georgia state Rep. Terry England referred to women as equal to Livestock. He thinks women should be forced to carry a dead fetus to term because pigs and cows on his farm do. Never mind what carrying around a dead human inside a woman's body might do to her.

In my own state of Idaho, Senator Chuck Winder introduced a Mandatory Ultrasound bill that would force women to have a medical procedure they don't want or need before having an abortion. He actually questions if women would even know what a rape is! 

Did you know that women still don't have equal pay? They still make less than men- 77 cents for every $1.00 men make- doing the same jobs? 

A Wisconsin state senator said money is not as important to women as it is to men. Try telling that to a divorced mother with 3 kids and a dead-beat ex-husband getting paid less at a job than her male counterpart just because she's female.

Did you know Wisconsin governor Scott Walker quietly repealed the state Equal Pay law?

These are just a few of the insane things that have gone on in this country against women in the last 2 years. These things are frightening! These are rights we have being taken away. I can not just stand by and let it happen. I'm too angry, too frightened. I have to do something, so I joined UniteWomen.Org and marched.

I heard about the march the day before. So I didn't have time to make a sign or anything. Fortunately, the organizers brought extras. I got this one. The word 'still' should be between the words are and fighting, but I wasn't gonna argue the point. It was a free sign.

Me and the sign I carried

There were 25 of us. There were men, women young and old, and children in the march.
We even had a dog. My friend Phyllis and her husband brought their little chihuahua Tico. 

Phyllis, Don, and Tico

We started at the Coeur d'Alene Library where we gathered together. 

Getting ready

Someone asked if I'd make this sign for them. Since I was just standing around waiting, why not?

Makin' a sign.

We walked up 7th to Sherman, then walked down Sherman to the city park. As we walked down the street people were honking their horns and waving at us in support. It was exhilarating!

I really like this girls sign

At the park we had a small rally with a few speakers that were very interesting. I actually had some knitting with me, but as you can see, I was too busy listening. I learned some things I didn't know. 

Listening to the speakers

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I feel really good about it. Instead of just sitting around feeling helpless and frustrated, I stood up and did something. I'm taking action!

I'm hoping that before I die the Equal Rights Amendment will finally be ratified and become part of our constitution. I still can't believe it's been 40 years and it still waits for that. We only need 3 states to sign it. I can't understand why all 50 haven't yet!

This probably won't be my last march. I find myself wanting to get more involved in this kind of thing. To stand up for what is right so our children can have a good future and I leave this planet a better place when I die. I will probably post about it from time to time, but not always.

I will not allow debate of politics in the comments of this blog. I will delete such comments. My blog is not the place for this kind of thing. Please respect that. 

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment:

  1. Just getting caught up reading a bazillion blog posts, but couldn't resist commenting on this one. You are my hero for being in a protest march! I can't believe we're still fighting this same crap either. I think/hope politicians will pay dearly this fall too.

    ReplyDelete