"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/1/12

Finished Knitting 2012





Beanie For Toddlers

Pattern: I made it up.

Size: Size 5T +/-

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 7.

Yarn: Patons Canadiana

Content: 100% Acrylic

Cast on: December 24, 2012
Bound off: December 26, 2012

Comments: I modified the pattern Beanies for the Brave to make this hat, decreasing the stitches to 72 instead of 100.

~~~~~~~~~~




Mittens for Toddlers

Pattern: Classic Mittens by Bernhard Ulmann

Size: Size 5T

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 5.

Yarn: Plymouth Yarns Coffe Beenz
Content: 75% Acrylic/25% Wool

Cast on: December 16, 2012
Bound off: December 18, 2012

Yarn: Patons Canadiana
Content: 100% Acrylic

Cast on: December 19, 2012
Bound off: December 23, 2012

Comments: I like the rainbows.

~~~~~~~~~~




Ribes Jumeaux

Pattern: Ribes Jumeaux by Linda Jo Park-planning to publish in January

Size: Mens medium

Yarn: Knitivity Down Home Art Yarns Sock in Patina
Content: 75% Superwash Wool/25% Nylon

Yarn: Red Heart Heart & Sole in Navy Blue
Content: 70% Superwash Wool/30% Nylon.

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 2.

Cast on: November 18, 2012
Bound off: December 4, 2012

Comments: I loved working with the yarn. I love the Patina colorway. In all honesty, it makes me think of a river in Montana that we camp near on occasion. But Bull River socks doesn't sound right to me.

The stitch pattern is super easy. Only two rows to memorize.

~~~~~~~~~~




Mittens for Toddlers

Pattern:  Classic Mittens by Bernhard Ulmann

Size: Size 5T

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash
Content: 100% Superwash Wool

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 5.

Cast on: December 8, 2012
Bound off: December 15, 2012

Comments: Quick to knit. I used the leftovers from the hats I made for my nephew. I adjusted the pattern I used to make it better. A matter of personal choice. The pattern is fine as is, but there are increases and decreases that don't make much sense and aren't really necessary for good fit so I removed them.

~~~~~~~~~~




Lace Neck Warmer

Pattern: Mericash Neck Warmer by Jean Gray

Size: One size to fit adult.

Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine
Content: 50% Wool/30% Nylon/20% Alpaca

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 5.

Cast on: September 17, 2012
Bound off: November 15, 2012

Comments: I added one full pattern repeat for a better fit. It was a little too narrow for my taste.

~~~~~~~~~~



Katey's Mittens

Pattern: Classic Mittens by Bernhard Ulmann

Size: Childs 2-4

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in heather purple
Content: 100% Wool, worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 4.

Cast on: November 29, 2012
Bound off: November 21, 2012

Comments: This is an old pattern published so long ago it's now in the public domain. Some of the instructions aren't the standardized we have for today so I did get a little bit confused when working on the decreases for the top. There is a typo error in the pattern, for this size, after slipping the thumb stitches on a piece of yarn to be held. Where it says "There will be on needles... sts 3", it should read 30.

~~~~~~~~~~




Coffee Bean Hat

Pattern: The Boyfriend Hat by Stephanie Nicole.

Size: To fit a +/- 23 inch head.

Yarn: Coffee Beenz by Plymouth in 9003-Brown
Content: 75% Acrylic/25% Wool, worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 9.

Cast on: November 2, 2012
Bound off: November 9, 2012

Comments: I chose The Boyfriend Hat pattern because I like the way the stitch pattern (3x2 rib) is decreased for the crown. It's also a nice masculine style. I enjoyed knitting it. The pattern is written clearly and is easy to knit. The yarn is nice to work with too.

~~~~~~~~~~



Conductive Mitt

Pattern: Flashy Fingers Gloves by Shelley Mackie. (Made for Knit-n-Crochet)

Size: Medium

Yarn:  Schachenmayr nomotta Bravo Color in Madrid Print
Content: 100% Acrylic, sport weight

Yarn:  Conductive Thread

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 3.

Cast on: October 10, 2012
Bound off: October 15, 2012

Comments: I love the yarn. I had not used it before. It feels wonderful and is extremely nice to work with. One of the best quality acrylics I've come across. I hope to see more of this yarn in my future.

The pattern is okay. It runs a little on the snug side. Increasing a needle size should fix that.

I also found errors in the size medium, the size I knit. It was easy to fix. I don't want to go into details here. (You can find that info in my Ravelry notebook entry.) I added the conductive thread in at the last half inch of the index finger. Would have done all of the fingers and thumb that way but didn't have enough thread. It takes about a yard per finger. One finger is sufficient for a class model.


~~~~~~~~~~



Yellow Fuzzy Baby Hoodie

Pattern: Baby Yeti by the Berroco Design Team. (Made for Knit Wits)

Size: Newborn/3 Months

Yarn: Aldemir Yumos
Content: 100% Polyester, bulky weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 11.

Cast on: July 11, 2012
Bound off: August 14, 2012
Blocked and Assembled: October 14, 2012

Comments: This is actually a very fast knit. I just took my darn sweet time on it. The pattern calls for Berroco Plush. I substituted the Aldemir Yumos, which is very similar in weight and used one size larger needles. I had no problem getting gauge. There's a lot of sewing involved, but it doesn't take long. I steam blocked it just like I usually do.

~~~~~~~~~~




Rainbow Cats Paw Scarf

Pattern: Cats Paw Scarf by Elizabeth Lovick

Size: 70 inches by 10 inches

Yarn: Mini Mochi by Crystal Palace Yarns
Content: 80% superwash merino wool/20% nylon, worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 10.

Cast on: October 1, 2012
Bound off: October 10, 2012

Comments: This is a very fast and easy knit. I'd recommend it for beginning lace knitters for certain. I love the way this stitch pattern looks in this yarn. I'd originally intended to use the yarn for and entrelac project. I like this better. It's going to be a gift. I sure hope the recipient likes it.

~~~~~~~~~~





Pattern: Beanies For The Brave by Kathy Lang made for my nephew Tyler.

Size: Adult

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash Wool in Blue and Orange
Content: 100% superwash wool, worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 7.

Cast on: September 25, 2012
Bound off: September 27, 2012

Comments: I love this pattern.

~~~~~~~~~~




Pattern: Beanies For The Brave by Kathy Lang made for my nephew Tyler.

Size: Adult

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash Wool in Blue and Orange
Content: 100% superwash wool, worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 7.

Cast on: September 23, 2012
Bound off: September 23, 2012

Comments: It took me just a few hours to make this. A lot less time than I expected.

I love the star shape you get on the crown via the decreases.

~~~~~~~~~~




Pink Fancy Flossy Shrug

Pattern: Fancy Flossy Shrug by me

Size: Ladies, 56 inches from cuff to cuff.

Yarn:  Bobtail by Schoeller+Stahl in shades of Pink (discontinued)
Content:  58% Polyester/42% Acrylic, bulky weight.

Yarn: Caron Kolormatch in White (discontinued)
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight

Yarn: Red Heart Supersaver in Rose Pink (this color is discontinued)
Content: 100%  Acrylic, worsted weight 

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars in size 10 and 15.

Cast on: September 5, 2012
Bound off: September 16, 2012

Comments: Took less than 100 yards of furry yarn. I carried one strand of Rose Pink throughout, except the cuffs which are one strand of White. Made it just a little longer than usual. Some people have longer arms.

~~~~~~~~~~





Pattern: Cute as a Button Fingerless Mitts by Lisa Hoffman (made for KnitWits)
Size: Ladies Medium

Yarn: Loops and Threads Snuggly Wuggly Baby Sport in soft lilac/sport weight.
Content: 100% acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Lace Circular size 5.

Cast on: August 13, 2012
Completed: September 3, 2012

Comments: This pattern is aptly named and easy to knit. It's fairly well written. The thumb gusset is a little weird, but they feel comfortable when worn. The buttons are antique plastic from my button stash.

~~~~~~~~~~




Army Green Treads Fingerless Mitts

Pattern: Treads by Victoria Ann Baker (made for KnitWits)
Size: Ladies Medium

Yarn: Cascade Yarns Pacific Solid in Dark Army Green
Content: 60% acrylic/40% Superwash Wool

Needles: Addi Turbo Lace Circular size 5.

Cast on: June 28, 2012
Completed: August 22, 2012

Comments: I've modified the pattern a bit. The original design has individual half fingers knit in stockinette stitch. I decided I didn't want that and did an inch of 1x1 rib instead. I bound off with the EZ Sewn Bind Off for extra stretchiness so they'd be easier to put on. These are a little snug, but very comfortable mitts. I love the stitch patterns used in them-linen stitch and lateral braid. I would make these again, and again. A good KIP project too.

~~~~~~~~~~




Aran Baby Cardigan in Aquarium Blue

Pattern: Aran Baby cardigan from McCalls Knitting Book 5 (1972)
Size: 6 months

Yarn: Red Heart Eco-Way, color Aquarium
Content: 70% acrylic/30% Polyester

Cast on: April 24, 2012
Bound off: August 4, 2012

Comments: I used a size 9 needle this time and I really like the results. It came out just a little bit larger. I didn't have to stretch it to size when I blocked it. I love the yarn. It's very nice to work with.

~~~~~~~~~~




Butterfly Wings Shawl

Pattern: Butterfly Wings Shawl by Ruth Park (for Knit Wits)
Size: 66 inches wide by 28 inches long at center.

Yarn: Unknown brand 3/12 lace weight in off white
Content: 100% baby melting Acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5. 

Cast on: April 17, 2012
Completed: July 26, 2012

Comments: I love this pattern. But I'm biased.

~~~~~~~~~~


Modeled by my friend Rosie.

Fancy Flossy Shrug

Pattern: Fancy Flossy Shrug by me

Size: Ladies, 52 inches from cuff to cuff.

Yarn: Aldemir Lumos in Khaki Lurex
Content: Polyester and Metallic, bulky weight.

Yarn: Cascade Pacific Multi in Lucky Clover
Content: 60% Acrylic, 40% Superwash Wool

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular in size 10 and 15.

Cast on: June 24, 2012
Bound off: July 8, 2012

Comments: I had a lot of fun knitting this.

~~~~~~~~~~



Red Fancy Flossy Shrug

Pattern: Fancy Flossy Shrug by me

Size: Ladies, 52 inches from cuff to cuff.

Yarn: Eyelash by Fan-Pel Collection in Multi Red
Content: Polyester and Nylon, sport weight.

Yarn: Caron Wintuk in Christmas Red
Content: 100% Acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular in size 10 and 15.

Cast on: June 7, 2012
Bound off: June 14, 2012

Comments: The fur yarn in this one is sport weight instead of bulky, but it worked just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~



Green Fingerless Mitts for Knit Wits

Pattern: Jeffs Mitts by Lorraine Ehrlinger 
Size: Mens large

Yarn: Pacific by Cascade Yarns in Dark Army Green
Content: 60% Acrylic, 40% Superwash Merino, Worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5. 

Cast on: June 1, 2012
Completed: June 22, 2012

Comments: I've done this pattern a couple times before. It's become my go to pattern for plain mens mitts. Admittedly, I did some pattern adjustments on the thumb gusset, but I'm not going to go into them because I just did personal little anal things. The pattern is fine the way it is.

~~~~~~~~~~



Ruffled Scarf for Elizabeth

Pattern: One-Skein Scarf in Marina by Universal

Yarn: Rozetti Yarns Marina Multi
Content: 100% Acrylic. 50g/33 yards per skein

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 10. 

Cast on: May 25, 2012
Completed: June 1, 2012

Comments: Elizabeth liked it.

~~~~~~~~~~




Stacked Olives Fingerless Mitts

Pattern: Stacked Olives Fingerless Mitts by me
Size: Womans

Yarn: Knitivity Phydlbitz
Color: Lakewood Berry
Content: 75% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon. 430 yards / 113 grams

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 3. 

Cast on: March 3, 2012
Completed: May 21, 2012

Comments: I can't believe how long it took me to finish these. It's not that I didn't enjoy working on them. I don't know why it's taken so long. I like the yarn but I think the stitch pattern would show up a lot better if there wasn't black in the colorway.


~~~~~~~~~~




February Lady Sweater for Sarah

Pattern: February Lady Sweater by Pamela Wynn
Size: Medium

Yarn: Pacific by Cascade Yarns in Dark Army Green
Content: 60% Acrylic, 40% Superwash Merino, Worsted weight

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 8

Cast on: February 23, 2012
Bound off: April 10, 2012

Comments: I love the yarn I used for this. Very nice to work with. I can't believe Sarah will fit in something this small.

~~~~~~~~~~


Front
Fuzzy Mint Shrug for Knit Wits

Pattern:  I made it up as I went along.
Size: Ladies, 52 inches from cuff to cuff.

Yarn: Ice Yarns Eyelash in Mint Green
Content:  100% Polyester, Bulky weight
Yarn: Bernat Soft Boucle' in Carnival
Content: 97% Acrylic, 3% Polyester
Yarn: Red Heart Baby Pompador in Mint Green (discontinued)
Content:  Acrylic, Nylon. Fingering weight
Yarn: Super Yarn Mart Orlon Sayelle in white. (discontinued)
Content: 86% Acrylic/14% Nylon, worsted weight.

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 10 and 13.

Cast on: January 7, 2012
Bound off: March 24, 2012

Comments: I only had 3 balls of the Eyelash and figuring out how to make an entire adult size shrug with them was quite a challenge. I decided on dropped stitch lace, a second color for stripes, and really big needles.

~~~~~~~~~~



Baby Aran in Orange

Pattern: Aran Baby Cardigan from McCalls Knitting Book 5 (1972)

Size: 12 months

Yarn: Lion Brand Sayelle #133 Tile (discontinued decades ago)
Content: 100% Dupont Orlon Acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 9.

Cast on: January 1, 2012
Completed: March 3, 2012

Comments: This is, of course, my favorite baby sweater pattern. It turned out larger than the pattern sizing because I used a size 9 needle instead of size 6. I like it. The fabric is a little softer as a result.


~~~~~~~~~~




Blog Reader Special Socks

Pattern: Blog Reader Special Socks

Yarn: Knitivity Down Home Art Yarns Sock
Color: Blog Reader Special  8-April-11 #403
Content: 75% Superwash Wool/25% Nylon

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 3.

Size: Ladies Medium (size 8 shoe)

Cast on: January 3, 2012
Bound off: February 1, 2012

Comments: I created this pattern for Ray at Knitivity. I picked a stitch pattern that I think goes well with variegated yarns. It is an easy pattern to memorize. These are knitted from the toe up. The yarn was nice to work with. I love the way it pooled on the feet. The pattern will be available from Knitivity when I get it done and delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment