"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/10/11

Tommy Martini Park

Something awful happened late last night. About half an hour before we were going to bed Tommy went outside to do his business. He came back in a couple minutes later and sat on the floor licking himself. He was sitting kind of weirdly, but I didn't think much of it. Then he got into his little bed and I covered him up with his blankie. A little later I told him it was bed time (he sleeps in my bed at night), but he couldn't get out of his bed. I picked him up and set him on the floor and he was clearly having some kind of weird seizure and in severe distress. He couldn't stand up at all. His whole body was almost paralyzed and he was in a lot of pain. We rushed him to the Emergency Animal Hospital.

The doctor thinks he had some kind of stroke or blood clot. (The only way to know for sure required an MRI, but the nearest vet who had one was a 2 hour drive away.) There was nothing they could do for him. He was suffering so much. I found myself making the horrible decision to have him euthanized.

Just like that. My happy bouncy little boy is gone! I can't believe it. I keep hoping I'll wake up and the nightmare will be over.

I love you so much Tommy. I will miss you forever.




Live long and prosper. \\//

7 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that a dog can be just as much a part of the family as a child or a sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{hugs}}} So sorry your little guy is gone...and it was so sudden! My beloved cat was killed and so I kind of understand dealing with a pet suddenly being gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May all your wonderful memories help ease the pain for you and yours through this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not gone....just gone on ahead.....he will always be in your memories and if you believe in an afterlife, he will be there waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so sorry for your loss!!!!
    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda I'm so sorry. What an awful experience and such a sad sad loss.

    ReplyDelete