"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/11/11

Twisty Fun

Every once in awhile I get a hankering to make something so strong I have to just do it and put everything else aside. That happened over the weekend. Oh, I got plenty of knitting done, to be sure. I've got 6 inches done on the sweater now. But there is this beading project that has been percolating in the brain for quite some time. I saw the pattern a few months ago in a Russian beading forum that I inhabit. It was pretty cool looking but I had something else going on at the time. Then, over the weekend, I happened to notice an ad for a class taught at the Bead and Button show (which I didn't go to). There was that project I'd been thinking about, only it's being taught as a very expensive class by an American (which irked me). Not by the person who wrote the free pattern I saw originally. I did some digging and found it, printed it out, and today I spent part of the day making the first half of a very interesting pendant.


 It's named the Totally Twisted Triangle. It looks incredibly complicated, but it's extremely easy to make.


If you can make a peyote stitched triangle, you can make this cuz that's what it is. It is the use of different sized beads-just like Cellini spiral (or flat Cellini spiral)- that makes it twist. To finish this pendent, I will make a second triangle like the first, then weave them together at the edges so it's double sided. I'm thinking about doing the second side in a different color just for fun. Then I'll have two pendants in one.

I had a very pleasant evening last night. I had planned for a barbecue steak dinner. We ended up taking our steaks over to BIL Dan's house and having dinner with them. Afterwards we sat in their hot tub and watched the sun set. Since I'd spent quite a bit of time earlier in the day de-weeding the front yard flower beds, I really was happy to get in that tub because I was sore.

It is getting rather threatening looking outside. It's hot, muggy, not a bit of breeze blowing, and dark black clouds are rolling in. I expect a thunderstorm is gathering itself. A little storm would kind of be nice.

Live long and prosper. \\//

Edited to add pattern link:






















7 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! I saw this pattern also but figured there was no way in heck I could ever do that. But you've made it seem doable. I just may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cool. And I can totally appreciate your comments on the ridiculous price to teach what was a free pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you please post the link to the original Free Russian Pattern? Or at least the location of the forum?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to have a link to the pattern
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Link to pattern:
    http://lilija.aylabs.com/thumbnails.php?album=35

    ReplyDelete
  6. The link to the pattern is a 404 error, no longer available....any ideas where I can currently find this stunning pattern??? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. Here's the current link:
    http://blacklily.nethouse.ru/posts/190379

    ReplyDelete