"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/3/11

Day Seven: Your knitting and Crochet Time.



Your knitting and crochet time.

Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.

 I don't get nearly as much time for crafting each day as I'd like to. An hour or two a day, at most, is the usual. Occasionally I'll get to spend several hours none stop at it, but not very often.

Typically, I craft in the afternoon and/or evening when I'm at home. If I'm beading, I'm most likely sitting at the dining room table.

If I'm knitting, then I'm sitting in the Hug. Usually the television will be on and I'm  watching/listening to movies. In the evening I'm probably watching my favorite shows, like Survivor, CSI, The Closer, Criminal Minds, Big Bang Theory, No Ordinary Family, or something we've recorded on the DVR. I love movies and television. Always have, probably always will.

If it's warm and dry outside, and not too hot, I'll sit at the table out on my deck in the shade under the umbrella to knit or bead. My favorite time of year for doing this is when my lilac bush is in bloom. The air smells so good then.

Crystal Light Fruit Punch Drink Mix (12-Quart), 2.04-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)No matter where I've planted myself to craft, I typically have a cold drink on hand. With all the medications I take, I have a constant problem with dry mouth and sipping on something ice cold helps. It can be anything from a tall glass of ice water or Crystal Light to even a nice Apple Martini or shot of Southern Comfort.

I do quite a bit of knitting away from home too. I'm in three different knitting groups so I typically knit when meeting with them, though often I'm spending more time helping out the other members with knitting questions than working on my own projects, but that's okay. That's what I'm there for.

I find myself in waiting rooms a lot more often than I care to think about, so I knit while waiting. I go almost everywhere with a knitting bag, just in case I find myself waiting. I've even been known to get a few rows of a sock done while waiting in a traffic jam on the freeway. Waiting just feels so much like I'm wasting time away. Like parts of my life are being frittered away at someone else's convenience.If I'm KIPing, I'm recovering that time at my convenience. Something constructive is happening, and it makes the waiting time go faster too.

Wow, I've done it. A got through the entire Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. It's been an interesting one. I'll be looking forward to next year.

Live long and prosper. \\//

4 comments:

  1. Your deck is absolutely wonderful and such a lovely area to knit in. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing posting for the week! I am behind in blog reading, so I'll catch up in reverse. Your deck looks like a lovely place to sit and knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing posting for the week! I am behind in blog reading, so I'll catch up in reverse. Your deck looks like a lovely place to sit and knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey LJ -- just stopped by to catch up on your blog. Always interesting and you have a way with words. Trust yourself and dust that book off! Gale

    ReplyDelete