"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/7/11

Italian Class Begins

Had a great weekend. We went to our favorite hot springs resort and spent an evening soaking in the pools and eating really good food. It was very relaxing. We got home Saturday afternoon. I worked some on the felt Christmas stocking, but mostly I slept after getting home. As relaxing as things were, I did not get much sleep. Tommy woke me up about a thousand times because we were in a strange place. That, and sweet hubbies snoring. I never sleep well in hotels anyway.

Sunday was the 23rd Anniversary of my 29th birthday. Didn't do anything special. I spent the day working on the first installment of the Italian beading class I signed up for last month. It has begun. I did get to eat out for dinner (NO way do I cook on my birthday!), but only after nagging the sweet hubby about it first. He's just not good at birthdays. Most of the time he doesn't even remember when mine is.We went to the Chinese restaurant in Rathdrum. Best Chinese food ever is prepared there. I don't know how we got so lucky to have them come to our town, but I'm sure glad we did.

The first lesson arrived in my email in English, rather than Italian, which was a nice surprise. Not a perfect translation, but adequate enough for me to figure it out. I learned how to make this hollow beaded bead.


It's done in peyote using size 11 delicas, and some 4mm bicone crystals.


I am surprised at how stiff and sturdy it has turned out. I can squeeze it quite hard without it collapsing. I really didn't think a peyote beaded bead could be made this way without some sort of support inside.


I love the colors I chose for it. A lavender with shiny gold metallic, and a cream color that is a satin finish.


The satin beads are kind of hard to work with. They are easy to break. I broke several before I figured out how to treat them. I was so worried about keeping my tension tight I overdid it a bit. I don't need to strangle them to death.


I need to make 3 more of these beads before the 2nd lesson comes (scheduled for mid February).

Live long and prosper. \\//

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Your beads are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!! Today is the 29th anniversary of my husband's 29th birthday (and yes, I had to do high math to figure that out). :-)

    Beautiful beadwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday!! I love your beaded bead! I've been having fun seeing everyone's different color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. j'adore vos bijoux je les trouves trop magnifique quel beaux travail vous faites je vous souhaite une bonne soirée bises a bientôt

    ReplyDelete