"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/13/10

WIP Wednesday 10/13/2010

The Navy Textured pullover is done! So is the purple shrug. I'll blog about that later because today is



I have pics of the sweater I started over the weekend. I'm gonna refer to it as the Teal cardigan. I bought the yarn, which is Brown Sheep Superwash Lambs Pride, because I love the color and I was going to make myself a specific sweater with it. However, upon digging in the stash for this gift sweater, I realized the color is perfect for the person I'm making the sweater for.

I've decided on the infamous February Lady Sweater pattern because it is a style that will look great on her. According to Ravelry's statistics, 9729 have this sweater in their projects notebook either finished or in progress. Over 10,000 have it in their queues. That is one darn popular pattern. It's knit from the top down.

I finished the yoke last night. I pushed myself to do that because it's garter stitch and I am extremely bored when knitting garter stitch. I've been known to literally doze off when knitting garter stitch. So far, it's been a fairly easy knit, except for the row of yarn overs knit at the end of the yoke part.

 The color is much brighter in real life than it is in this picture.

I needed to distribute 41 yarn overs evenly over 267 stitches and I just couldn't seem to make it work. It took 3 times tinking the row before I figured out I had messed up the shoulder increases (did 25 repeats instead of 24 due to misunderstanding on my part). Once I realized I had 8 more stitches (275 instead of 267) than I was supposed to it was an easy fix. I decided to adjust the number of yarn overs to 33 rather than undo the extra 2 rows of yoke. Sheesh! If I'd counted the stitches before starting that row to make sure they were right I could have saved myself 3 hours of frustration.

We had our first frost Monday night. It got down to 26F degrees. That is the end of my dahlias for the year. I did go out and cut the two buds that were opening up earlier that day-I could smell the frost coming. One opened completely overnight.


I am thankful that we got 2 extra growing months so I could see them bloom, and now I know what to do to get blooms next year.




 The other one (another wine colored one) is probably not going to open much, but at least I'm giving it a chance.

If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper. \\//

6 comments:

  1. I've just taken up knitting again (learning in the winter) and hope to one day be able to do a sweater! Right now I'm trying to work on a hat with hearts on it, ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dahlia!
    I've done the Febuary Lady Sweater, and I received many compliments on it. I think I need to do another one since my original sweater died in the wash. It took me several days and several tries to do the yo distributions too. I can't remember what I ended up doing with it, but I still wish you all the luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love that teal yarn. It will make a beautiful sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The teal yarn is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the sweater finished! You've made great progress so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the yarn color. I haven't made that sweater yet.

    That flower opened overnight because it was so glad you brought it in out of the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have the sweater in my stack of to-do's. Love the teal color.

    ReplyDelete