"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/27/10

Workin' at the Fair Part 3

Busy busy busy busy. That's my life in a nutshell these days. Consequently I've fallen way behind on my Fair blogging. So I'm giving you fair warning (no pun intended). This is a long catch-up post.

Judging day (last Thursday, the 19th) was very interesting. My job was to bring the entries to the judges by category number, retrieve them from the judges when they were done, put the ribbons on them (Only Superintendents are allowed to pin the ribbons on the entries), and enter the award info on the list of entries. Then we send the info to the office to be entered in the computer.

I was quite impressed with the judges. There were two and they definitely knew what they were doing. We've had some judges in the past that were so bad I wondered if they even knew how to knit. But these two gals knew a whole lot about knitting, and judging. They had a huge and difficult job to do and they did it well. They turned everything inside out, examined seams, found dropped stitches in many of the items I wouldn't have (they carefully pinned each one with a safety pin so they couldn't run free), and even checked afghans to make sure they were 'square' and not wonky. Here's where blocking is really important, because unblocked afghans can be pretty wonky.

It was a long day-several hours of judging, so I understand that 'need' to go home. However, after the initial judging, there was still the job of awarding the premium ribbons which consisted of 3 grand champions, and 6 special premiums.The premiums were to be awarded in 3 categories: Adult Clothing and/or Accessories, Knit Afghans, and Novice knitter - 1st and 2nd Place for each.They did fine with the grand champions, but the special premiums were another story. They didn't want to take the time to figure out the last 2 categories. In fact, one judge vehemently refused to award them to any afghans. She wanted them to go to 2 adult sweaters. Other department superindendents told me this was okay. The judges could do what they wanted with the premium ribbons. So, instead of going to the office and checking with the boss that it was okay, I let the judges do what they wanted. Shouldn't have done that. Should have checked with the boss (and told the judges to sit down and do their job right).

The next day I had a mess to fix, and I was the one required to fix it. The mis-awarded premiums had to go to the specific categories they were for because that is what the sponsors expect and require. The job of awarding them fell to me. It wasn't hard to do. I knew which entries deserved them, but I felt so bad about allowing something that shouldn't have been and now people had extra work because of me (fixing the computer data). Lesson learned. Next year will be better.

I took pics of some of the entries to share with you.This is the Grand Champion winner for the Senior division. Click on the pic for a larger version.


It's a 40-inch doily knit with really really fine thread, size 50 or maybe even size 80 tatting thread. It is as close to perfect as knitting can get. I wish you could see the detail. It's amazing. The patience and skill it took to make this boggles the mind.

The knit felted basket on the left won Premium 2nd Place Adult Clothing or Accessory. Very well done. I didn't get a picture of the Premium 1st Place winner. Hmmm...I should have. It's really cute. A pair of felted sheep.

The sweater on the left won Grand Champion Adult Division. I don't particularly care for the design of this cardigan, but the workmanship is outstanding.


The one on the right got awarded an afghan premium. I had to remove it and put it on an afghan. The judges really wanted to give it some kind of special award because it was very well made. It was also knit by a man (judges didn't know that), which around here is a rare thing so I'm doubly impressed.

This is the afghan that won the Premium First Place-Knit Afghan award. A baby blanket with a lace pattern.


This little shawl was made by a Novice knitter. She did a wonderful job for a beginner, so she won the Premium First Place Novice Knitter award.


This dress won a blue ribbon. It's beautiful, and a clever idea.


Fabric is sewn to a knit bodice. The bodice is cables and knit sideways.

I love this vest. Don't know why. Just do.


This little fairisle baby set is so cute! It was knit by my friend Tami.



This elephant was made by my daughter Ruth, so I have to show it to you.


Please notice the blue ribbon. Besides the elephant, she also entered a pair of socks,



a scarf,



and a pair of fingerless gloves



which ALL won blue ribbons, and a hat that won a red ribbon.


 She entered a couple of crochet toys too. A lion that won blue



and a hippo that won Red.


Obviously, I'm a proud mother.

The day after judging day we started setting up the displays of all the entries. This was my favorite part. Making a really dull room look beautiful. We had to hang all the quilts up first. There are well over a hundred of them.


Then we (by 'we', I mean all the needle craft superintendents) were able to set up everything else. I did this display which is most all the baby clothing and toys in knitting, crochet, and sewing. The quilts hanging on the wall are made by children.


I love how some of the quilts were hung on the wall at angles rather than straight up and down. It makes the eye travel all down the wall so you notice a lot more.


The fair opened on Wednesday the 25th. I'm on duty each day walking the floor to keep an eye on things and answer questions.

Well, that's probably enough about that. My next blog entry will be about my entries and how I did.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment