"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/27/10

The Week in Review

It's been a busy week for me.

Tuesday night I attended my first Superintendent meeting for the fair. It was very interesting. I learned just exactly what I've signed up for. I was pretty worried that it might be way more than I could handle, but it's turned out to be way less that expected. I am relieved, and happy. The job is going to be a lot of fun. Most of the work takes place during the month of August, which is when the fair takes place. Before that it's monthly planning meetings, and afterward a couple more meetings.

There were a couple ladies there I wasn't expecting who I know. They are the Superintendents of the Crochet department now. I met these ladies shortly after moving here (from the San Jose, CA area) via my love for machine knitting. The three of us spent a couple summers or so putting on machine knitting demonstrations during the fair. I remember having loads of fun with them. Now, there we were. The three of us. Working for the fair. How did that happen?

I was also worried that this job would mess up our summer vacation plans. We are going on a road trip with my brother-in-laws starting mid June. We're planning on driving down and staying at Yellowstone National Park for a week, then on to South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore for another week. After that the brother-in-laws will head back home. Doug and I are planning to head for northern Michigan to visit my father. On our way home we hope to swing down to Kansas and visit some nephews and nieces. The whole trip is going to be about 4 weeks long. I'm really looking forward to it. Being Superintendent of Knitting will not interfere with the trip, or vise versa.

Wednesday was the weekly Yarnies meeting. I swear, I have not laughed that hard in a very long long time. The girls wit was in top form. I didn't get much knitting done because it's hard to see your knitting when your eyes are full of tears from laughing so hard. If you want a good time, and you live in this area, please come to our CDA Yarnies meetings. Every Wednesday from 10:30am to 12:30 at CDA Yarn and Fiber.

Thursday I went in to CDA Yarn and Fiber for my knitting class. No students showed up, so I went home and spent the rest of the day cleaning out my closet. I've been bitten by the spring cleaning bug. I pulled out 5 garbage size bags of clothes that I'm not wearing for various reasons-don't fit, don't like, don't have a lifestyle for wearing them anymore (that would be the dresses. I don't wear dresses any more), and there were even a few "why in the heck did I buy this?" items that I never wore or only wore once. I also got 2 bags of clothes Sweet Hubby hasn't worn in ages (including 2 very nice suits). There were also a few sweaters that I made him early in our marriage that he couldn't fit in if his life depended on it. All of the clothes are in excellent condition so I took them to the Food Bank Thrift store in Rathdrum. They were quite pleased.

I have been thinking about monetizing my blog. A new feature involving Amazon.com has become available to Blogger members that is intriguing. The idea my blog could generate some pocket money for beads/yarn is attractive.

This morning I am heading to the Templins Red Lion Inn in Post Falls for the annual Log Cabin Spinners Spin In. It's an event hosted by the local spinning guild every year. Folks from all over the area bring their spinning wheels/knitting/crochet projects or whatever and spend the day together in yarnie goodness and fun. My daughter Ruth is going with me. Sarah was going to come too, but she has to go to work instead. Bummer. I will buy yarn in her honor. (heh heh)

Speaking of daughters, Ruth has started knitting her first sweater. I am so proud of her. She's making the Absinthe pullover from the book Pints & Purls. More details will follow as the project develops.

By the way, if you are fairly new to knitting, I highly recommend this book. It has wonderful projects and is well written for new knitters. I'm quite impressed with it.

Well, if I'm going to the Spin In, I better get my arse moving. Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment