"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/13/10

It's Official

A couple days ago I made mention of something that I was excited about:

"Something amazing happened yesterday, but I'm not going to write about it until the paper work has been sign, sealed, and delivered. Just know that I am very excited, and happy."

I can talk about it now. I am the new Superintendent of Knitting for the North Idaho Fair and Rodeo. Doesn't that sound incredible? Superintendent of Knitting.

This job kind of fell in my lap. Someone at the fair emailed a friend telling her they were looking for a new SofK. She forwarded that email to me. I thought about it for a few days, weighing the ins and outs and whether I would have the time. I decided I will make the time. I emailed the fair that I was interested. They emailed me back with "Glad to have you aboard." It went way too easy.

So what does a SofK do? I will be in charge of running the Knitting dept for the fair. Organizing and taking care of the entries, deciding what can and can not be entered, creating and setting up the displays at fair time, taking down and putting it all away afterwards, keeping my portion of the Fair Entry book up to date. Stuff like that. There will be lots of people helping me, thankfully. It would be a huge job by myself. I'm just the one where the buck will stop. Most of my work will take place during the months of July and August. So it's not a 'full time' position.

When I told them I was interested in the job, I believed it to be a volunteer position. In other words, no money. However, I have since found out they will be paying me. That surprised me. I'll find out how much when I go to my first meeting.

My first meeting is March 23. I sure hope this cough has decreased a lot by then.

Speaking of coughing, I got out of the house yesterday. We were just about completely out of food (It had been more than 3 weeks since my last grocery store trip). I felt a sense of urgency to fix that situation. I dragged Ruth along to be my slave labor and went into Rathdrum to forage for food. I also stopped at the post office, the liquor store, and the drug store. I coughed the whole time and was exhausted when I got home, but I lived through it. I chatted with folks as I went along and found out just about everyone in town either has a cough now themselves, or family members who are coughing. Glad to know it's not just me.

Have a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Superintendent of Knitting - sounds like something out of a fantasy tale! I'm thinking you'll definitely need business cards made up - what a great way to introduce oneself at parties.

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete