"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/14/10

There was Sunshine!

First of all


I hope you and your special loved ones have a wonderful day.

Yesterday the weather was glorious. The sun was shining, and it was warm. The shade was cold (somewhere around 35F) but being in the sun was wonderful. I got to spend a whole hour on the deck sitting in it. True, I was dressed in a sweater, and had a blanket, but it was very comfortable with the sun shining on me. I worked on a lace shawl that I started last week for Knitwits. While I knitted this is what I had for views.

To the east:

and to the north:

As you can see, there is no snow to speak of, though if you go tromping in the woods you'll find a lump or two. In Coeur d'Alene the crocus, daffodils, and tulips are already sprouted-before Valentines day! Looks like we are heading for an early spring. I've heard El Nino is responsible for this.

I got quite a few rows done on the shawl, then discovered I'd made a horrible glaring you-couldn't-miss-it-unless-you-were-blind mistake. One of the vertical lines wasn't vertical. It had a big hole and a jog in it. So I frogged it back. By then, it was too cold to stay outside any more. The sun had gone behind the house. I guess you could call yesterday's knitting a practice session.

This is where I was when I went back in the house:


The pattern is Called the Arrowhead Shawl. It's available as a free PDF download on Ravelry. I'm using some Caron Simply Soft for the yarn.

Tip Alert: I'm using a 40-inch size 10 Addi turbo circular needle. I had to use 2 rocks to get the needle to stay in place for the picture. It was all curly cued up and stiff. It's been driving me crazy. I decided to take my own advice. The advice I give everyone else that has this problem. Put some boiling water in a bowl and dip the cable in. I've never actually done this myself. I've just been passing on info I've heard from others. I'm relieved to say it worked! In fact, it worked very well. The cable is now nice and straight and it's not stiff anymore either.

This morning I figured out where I am in the stitch pattern (it's a 20 row repeat) and I'm back on track.I plan to knit while watching the Olympics.

Go team USA!

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment