"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/7/10

Aran Baby Cardigan is Done

Aran Cardigan for Ethan



Pattern: Aran Baby cardigan from McCalls Knitting Book 5 (1972)
Size: 6 months
Yarn: Plymouth Encore Tweed #2334 Sea Foam
Content:
75% acrylic/22% Wool/ 3% Viscose
Needles:
Addi Turbo Circular size 6.
Cast on: December 30, 2009
Bound off: January 29, 2010

Comments: This is, of course, my favorite baby sweater pattern. I think I should use a larger needle next time though. Like a size 8, perhaps. Wouldn't have to stretch the pieces as much when blocking.

The buttons came from my stash of antique buttons that I 'inherited' several years ago.

The yarn is wonderful to work with.

~~~~~~~~~~

This is what I'm working on now.


Three more unfinished items were donated to Knitwits-all with no patterns accompanying them, so I've been assigned the task of finishing them. This is a child size sweater. It came to me with half the bottom band done, and still on the needles, which made it so convenient for me. (I don't have to guess or swatch). I'd say this project was probably started close to 30 years ago, maybe more. I'm just going to do what will look good since I have no idea how it is supposed to be finished.

There is quite a bit of the green yarn left, and just a bit of the cream. It's a very old Bucilla yarn no longer being made, Bucilla Civona-Sport. It has an unusual hand. Sort of feels like soft nylon that is very stretchy, but it's 100% Orlon Acrylic. I like it. It's soft to the touch.

I've finished the bottom band. It needs button and neck bands now. I've got the buttonhole side done, and the button side just has 2 rows left.

As I was working on this yesterday I wondered who started this project? Was it for a grandchild? A friend? I wonder what they would think if they knew I am finishing it in the year 2010? It will be worn by a child who really needs it. I think they would like that.

I dug in the stash of antique buttons and I've found some that will match it quite well.

Yesterday was my birthday. I had a very nice one too. I got presents (more details on that later), and taken out to dinner. I was craving Mexican so we went to Toro Viejo here in Rathdrum. I love their Enchiladas Rancheras. It is sooooooooo good! My daughter slipped it to the waitress that it was my birthday. So I ended up getting to wear a huge purple sombrero while everyone sang Happy Birthday, and they gave me Flan for dessert. Mmmmm, flan......

It's absolutely beautiful out right now. Blue sky and sunshine. I hope I can spend a little time out on the deck knitting in the sun before the game. We have folks coming over to watch the Superbowl Game. A little party, if you will. It's the only football game we watch. I'm not sure why we watch it. We're not football fans. Doug says it's an American tradition, and he thinks it might be against the law to not watch it. (LOL!) I've got Dilled Pot Roast in the crock pot. I need to get the dip made and set things up in the kitchen for a buffet.

Have a good day!

3 comments:

  1. I did not "slip" the comment. I outright dropped it on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I missed that somehow. I was completely surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby cardigan is amazing. YOu are a great knitter. I came over from Stitches of Violets blog!

    ReplyDelete