"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/1/10

2010 Completed Knitting

 Knitting projects I've completed in the year 2010







Aran Cardigan for Ethan

Pattern:
Aran Baby cardigan from McCalls Knitting Book 5 (1972)
Size: 6 months
Yarn: Plymouth Encore Tweed #2334 Sea Foam
Content:
75% acrylic/22% Wool/ 3% Viscose
Needles:
Addi Turbo Circular size 6.
Cast on: December 30, 2009
Bound off: January 29, 2010

Comments: This is, of course, my favorite baby sweater pattern. I think I should use a larger needle next time though. Like a size 8, perhaps. Wouldn't have to stretch the pieces as much when blocking.

The buttons came from my stash of antique buttons that I 'inherited' several years ago.

The yarn is wonderful to work with.

~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern:
ArrowHead Lace Shawl by DragonWing Arts
Size:  70 inches wide by 40 inches long.
Yarn: Simply Soft by Caron in Soft Blue #9172
Content:
100% Acrylic 
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 10-32 inches. 
Cast on: February 10, 2010
Bound off: February 28, 2010

Comments: Love the pattern. Very well written and easy to understand. It took a bit for me to memorize the stitch pattern, but I did memorize it. That's something. I would recommend this for inexperienced knitters as a first lace project.

As cheap acrylic yarn goes, I like Caron's Simply Soft. It's nice to work with.

~~~~~~~~~~



Bamboo Socks

Pattern: 4x2 Garter Rib by me
Yarn: On Your Toes Bamboo by S.R. Kertzer
Color: Iris Print
Content: 75% Bamboo/25% Nylon
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 2.
Size: Ladies Medium (size 8.5 shoe)
Cast on: August 4, 2009
Bound off: March 1, 2010

Comments: I really like working with this yarn but there's not as much yardage as there is with wool. 328 yards to 100 grams, as apposed to 400-450 yards from wool. So be advised, if you have large feet. I just used my basic sock pattern with a 4x2 Garter Rib. Nuthin' fancy.
~~~~~~~~~~


Ugly Yarn Scarf for Knitwits

Pattern: Mohair Lace Scarf by Beadknitter
Size:  70 inches long by 6 inches wide .
Yarn: Dawn Mospun (2 strands held together)
Content: 100% Acrylic 
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 15
Cast on: March 7, 2010
Bound off: March 19, 2010

Comments: Love the pattern, but I'm biased. Working with the yarn was interesting. It was an old acrylic fake mohair made in the 1950s with a very plastic feel to it. Thus, the name of the project-Ugly Yarn. I machine washed and dried it after it was done. It was so soft and cuddly and fluffy after that. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

~~~~~~~~~~


Cat Hat for Sarah

Pattern:
Witch Cats Hat by Christine de Savoie
Size: Adult
Yarn: Lustersheen by Coats and Clark (vintage) in White and Peacock Blue/Cotton Classic by Tahki Yarns in Black
Content:
100% Acrylic/100% Cotton
Needles:
Addi Turbo Circular size 3 and 5.
Cast on: April 8, 2010
Bound off: April 20, 2010

Comments: I'm glad I decided to do this pattern. I re-educated myself on the techniques for knitting Fairisle so it was a good project to do. I don't enjoy knitting Fairisle as much as I did when I was young, but I can still do it.

The pattern for this hat is very very well written. I'd recommend it for those who are Fairisle beginners.

I enjoyed working with the yarn too. Lustersheen, circa 1970's, was a very nice yarn. I do not know if it still is though. I haven't seen it in any stores around here to find out.

~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern:
Kindle Pocket by Tahira Probst
Size: to fit Nook and Kindle
Yarn: Cascade 220 Paints in Grape
Content: 100%Wool
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 9
Cast on: May 19, 2010
Bound off: May 20, 2010

Comments: A quick easy knit that turns out great. 

~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: Vintage Shoulderette by Minerva
Size: 52 inches wide
Yarn: Nova DK by Sirdar
Content: 86% Acrylic/14% Nylon
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5 and 8.
Cast on: March 30, 2010
Bound off: May 26, 2010
Comments: A fun and easy knit. I only have one small complaint. The pattern tells us to sew the sleeve seams, but doesn't say how far that is. I chose to go 5 inches.

~~~~~~~~~~


Judys Monkey Socks

Pattern: Monkey Socks by Cookie A.
Yarn: Fibranatura Yummy
Color: 41361 Purples
Content: 100% Superwash Merino Wool
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 2.
Size: for Womans Size 9 shoe 
Cast on: May 23, 2010
Bound off: July 5, 2010 (in Indiana)

Comments: I love this pattern, I love the yarn. Judy loves the socks. Can't be better than that. I finished these socks while driving through Indiana on our vacation.
 ~~~~~~~~~~


Herringbone Rib Socks
Pattern: Herringbone Rib by by Kristi Schueler from Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
Yarn: Berroco Sox
Color: 1452 Bonham
Content: 75% Wool/25% Nylon
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 2.
Size: for Womans Size 9 shoe 
Cast on: July 6, 2010
Bound off: July 24, 2010 (in Indiana)

Comments: I love the stitch pattern in these socks. It is fun to knit. Be advised, though, that it is a yarn hogging stitch pattern. Make sure you have extra yarn, or don't knit the stitch pattern in the foot. In fact, even if you don't carry the stitch pattern into the foot, have extra yarn. The Berroco Sox is nice to knit with.
~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: Maine Morning Mitts  by Clara Parkes
Size: Womans
Yarn: N.Y. Yarns Fluff in black
Content:
100% Nylon
Yarn: Lionbrand Microspun in black
Content:
100% Acrylic
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 7.
Cast on: September 28, 2010
Bound off: September 30, 2010

Comments: The pattern is well written, easy, and knits up quickly. It calls for Noro Kureyon, but I wanted black fuzzy ones, so I substituted. At first I tried with just a strand of Fluff, but it was way too thin and floppy, not anywhere near gauge (too small), even though the label says it should be knit on size 10 needles and I was using size 7. So I added a strand of sport weight Microspun and it worked perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~


Easy Ribbed Fingerless Mitts

Pattern: Modification of Maine Morning Mitts  by Clara Parkes
Size: Womans
Yarn: Wisdom Yarns Poem in color #578
Content:
100% Wool 
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 7.
Cast on: October 6, 2010
Bound off: October 7, 2010

Comments: My modification version is better than the pattern. But I'm biased. I do not particularly care for the Poems yarn. It's nice enough to work with, fairly even in size as you knit, soft to the touch (way better than Noro Kureyon), but it is easily pulled apart. At one point my project was laying on the table. I pulled on the yarn to draw it closer to me and it broke (the yarn, not the table). So, don't use it for something that you want to last awhile.

~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: Personal (not available)
Size: Womans

Yarn: Jo-Anns Sensations Rainbow Boucle' in Purple
Content:
88% Acrylic, 12% Nylon

Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars 8 and 15.

Cast on: June 9, 2010
Finished: October 9, 2010

Comments: I can't believe how lightweight this shrug turned out to be. It can't weigh more than 4oz., yet it's toasty warm. I know because I tried it out. Too bad this yarn has been discontinued. I used a very simple drop-stitch lace pattern.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~




Pattern: Andoa Pullover by Berroco Design Team
Size: Medium
Yarn: Unknown
Content:
Definitely has acrylic and washable wool in it.
Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars 6 and 8.
Cast on: April 23, 2010
Finished: October 10, 2010

Comments: I love this pattern! It was a pleasure to knit. Easy enough that I could cart it around for KIPing, but enough variety that I didn't get bored with it. It's a good one for beginning knitters too. I'd recommend it for those folks looking for that first sweater project.

~~~~~~~~~~


Navy Childrens Mittens for Knitwits

Pattern: Basic Mitten Pattern by Ann Budd
Size:  Childs 4-6
Yarn: The mysterious yarn I made the Navy Textured Pullover with.
Needles: Addi Turbo size 6
Cast On:  October 21, 2010
Finished: October 29, 2010

Comments: Fairly simple pattern. Easy to follow if you're using double pointed needles. I used 2 circulars so I had to make adjustments.

~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: Maine Morning Mitts  by Clara Parkes
Size: Womans

Yarn: , Lana Gatto Amsterdam in green/blue
Content:
73% Nylon, 27% Acrylic


Yarn: Snuggly Wuggly Baby Sport by Loops & Threads in medium green.
Content:
100% Acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 7.

Cast on: November 13, 2010
Bound off: November 15, 2010

Comments: The pattern is well written, easy, and knits up quickly. I substituted the fuzzy Amsterdam for the cuff. I also altered the thumb gusset instructions
~~~~~~~~~~


 


Pattern: Fancy That! Malibrigo Gloves by Hannah Poon
Size: Womans

Yarn: Snuggly Wuggly Baby Sport yarn by Loops & Threads in medium green.
Content: 100% Acrylic

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6.
Cast on: November 13, 2010
Bound off: November 15, 2010

Comments: I love this pattern. However, as usual, I have made some small adjustments. The thumb wasn't quite long enough for my taste so I added some length to it. Instead of binding off the 10 gusset stitches, I put them on a holder. When I was done with the body of the mitt I put the thumb sts on needles, picked up 2 sts at the gap over the gusset, and knit 7 rows of 2x2 rib, then bound off in ribbing. Now it's perfect.
~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: February Lady Sweater by Pamela Wynne


Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Superwash Worsted
Content:
100% superwash Wool
Color: SW36
 

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 8.
 
Cast on: October 8, 2010
Completed: December 6, 2010

Comments: I am so pleased with how it's turned out. If it weren't being given away as a gift I'd enter it in the fair, it turned out that perfect. Not one mistake in it.

I love the pattern. I'm even thinking about knitting one of these for me. If I were to do it again, I would replace the row of yarn overs with a row of Make 1's because the little holes bug me.
~~~~~~~~~~





Pattern: 220 Fingerless Mitts by Jessica Jensen
Size: Mens Medium

Yarn: The infamous never ending Navy Tweed
Content: Superwash wool/Acrylic blend

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 4.

Cast on: December 4, 2010
Bound off: December 6, 2010

Comments: 
This pattern is really good. I love the way it knits up. I thought it might be kind of cardboardy using size 4 needles with a worsted weight yarn but it isn't. It just feels snuggly and warm.
~~~~~~~~~~


 


Pattern:  Jeff's Mitts by Lorraine Ehrlinger.
Size: Mens medium

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in dark Grey.
Content: 100% Superwash wool

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6.

Cast on: December 7, 2010
Bound off: December 10, 2010

Comments: Very simple pattern. Well written. Fits the hand well. I'd recommend it for beginners.
~~~~~~~~~~

 

Pattern: Notwoven Fingerless Mitts by Zortified
Size: Womans

Yarn: Dream in Color Classy
Content: 100% Superwash Merino

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6.

Cast on: December 10, 2010
Bound off: December 12, 2010

Comments: I love this pattern. The stitch pattern is fun to do and looks wonderful.
~~~~~~~~~~


 


Pattern: Owlings by Kerrie James
Size: Womens medium

Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Worsted Merino Superwash in Red/Brown Heather.
Content: 100% Superwash Merino

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6.

Cast on: December 12, 2010
Bound off: December 16, 2010

Comments: I really love the stitch pattern in these mitts, but the pattern design itself ended up being changed. For one thing I do not like the way the thumb is done. Hands aren’t shaped that way. How hard would it have been to actually knit in a thumb gusset? Easy as pie, that’s how. So that’s what I did.

I also finished the top above the owls with 2 rows of 4x1 rib, 2 rows of 1x1 rib, then bound of in rib. I’m not sure why she wants the sewn bind off, except maybe so the beginning and end match? I didn’t need that. I wanted just a bit of a flair, and got it with the 1x1 rib.

The owls came to life when I added their golden eyes done with size 8 seed beads.
~~~~~~~~~~





Pattern: Emerald Fingerless Mittens by Lucy Sweetland
Size: Womens

Yarn: Vintage by Berroco in Denim Blue
Content:  50% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 10% Nylon

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 4.

Cast on: December 16, 2010
Bound off: December 20, 2010

Comments: What a beautiful design! I love it! I did adjust where the thumb gusset goes a bit. One of these days I'll knit a pattern as written. LOL!

I LOVE the yarn I used for these. It's so soft and absolutely delightful to work with. Knitted with size 4 needles makes it absolutely snuggly wuggly. I shall be using this yarn again.

~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment