"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/27/09

I Think I May be Out of Control

I have been shamefully enhancing my stashes the last few days. I shouldn't be cos we need to tighten our belts a bit (us owing the IRS money this year and all). But I've been running across some really great deals, and whatnot, and I have a couple projects that needed beads to finish them, so.... here's what I have, in no particular order.

Yarny buttons. I popped into the Dollar Tree store in Coeur d'alene looking for a gift wrapping item. I made the mistake of passing down the craft aisle on my way to the gift wrap. Big mistake. I spotted these buttons. They stood out like a giant florescent green sign amongst all the crafty crap. They're made of plastic, but they're so cute! And the whole package of 12 was only $1.00


Though they're not shown here, the buttons were right next to a whole bunch of packages of very very very nice pewter beads-which I would not have seen if the buttons had not been flagrantly showing off- at a buck a pack. Well, I mean, there was over 200 bucks worth of these lovely PEWTER beads for only 36 bucks....I bought the whole kit and kaboodle. I left none for anyone else-and I'm not sorry about it. I just couldn't pass up a deal like that! But I won't stoop so low as to show them off cos it would make my fellow beaders cry at how cool a deal it was.

Then I popped into Michaels. I had a specific purpose in mind. I have been making my beaded beads with some wooden beads for bases. The holes in them are hUmOnGoUs! So I thought I'd see if they had any 20mm plastic or glass beads with smaller holes. I looked in the beading aisle, but I didn't see anything I liked. I did see a lady who looked familiar to me. So I asked her if we knew each other (we've seen each other at Bead It in Post Falls) which led her to telling me about the beads she had that were on sale at a buck a strand, which then lead to her showing me where they were (not in the beading aisle, and very hard to find if you didn't know where to look), which then led to a feeding frenzy with me and 2 other beaders (who sneakily followed us). I managed to find some beautiful 20mm glass beads in the pile, plus some lovely copper beads-all for a buck a strand. Nice copper beads at that price are almost unheard of.


Well, since I was in Coeur d'Alene, I might as well pop into Bead Creative and see if I can find anything to go with the two beaded beads that are destined for real necklace projects. I found these.


They will work perfectly. The 4 red and yellow lampwork beads and the 4 Ruby quartz beads go in one necklace, and the purplish stone (I neglected to see what they are) is for another one.

Okay, remember that lace stole pattern I bought recently called Maplewing? I stumbled across the perfect yarn for that while in CDA Yarn and Fiber. It's the exact color I had in mind.


It's Fino from Alpaca With a Twist. Lace weight 70% Baby Alpaca/30% Silk. Very very soft to the touch.

Then, Andrea, the shop owner, being the enabler she is, mentioned that a sock yarn I'd been wanting but hadn't bought yet was down to one skein left. AAHH! Had to get that.


On Your Toes from S.R. Kertzer. Don't know why I like this colorway so much. I'm not usually one for anything that has orange in it.

Then, again because she's an evil enabler, Andrea showed me what just came in.


I have not seen that shade of teal/turquoise in a yarn in years! I LOVE that color. I bought all 10 skeins. They were at a discount, which made the experience a little less 'painful'. Lambs Pride Superwash Wool from Brown Sheep Co. As a rule I do not like Brown Sheep's yarns. I detest their sock yarn (Wildfoote?), and I've never liked their extremely popular Lambs Pride worsted or bulky because I don't like the twist. They're a Z twist yarn. It doesn't look quite right to me knitted up. The stitches are not as smooth and even. However, this superwash has the S twist. So I'm going to give it a try.

I feel kind of guilty for spending all this money. Sigh.... just doing my part to restart the economy, right?

Tomorrow is the local spinning guilds annual Spin In. I am going for the whole day. I expect the debit card to take another beating, though I'm going to try my best not to let that happen.

Have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Not out of control - re-starting the economy in a responsible, well thought out way... :)

    It's addicting - isn't it. Bargains everywhere!

    ReplyDelete