"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/29/09

I'm Back

Hi! We got back from Mexico on Sunday, but I've been pretty busy since then catching up after being gone for a couple weeks. This has been a difficult post to compose. There's so much I want to tell about the trip, but it would take practically a book of writing to tell you and I just don't have that kind of time, so I'm gonna have to leave out the details.

I had a fabulous time, except for the flight there, and the flight back. What a nightmare. When did airlines decide that passengers are just so many cattle and not humans? When did they decide service wasn't necessary any more? United managed to screw up everything that could be possibly screwed up on this trip. (My husbands running shoes were actually stolen from inside his suitcase when it was searched by security!) Arrrghhh.....Suffice it to say we had to spend not one, but TWO nights in Denver, Colorado, and I will NEVER fly on United Airlines again, ever-even if it means I have to walk and/or swim to my destination. We were lucky to get to Cancun, and back home for that matter.

The Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. The people are so friendly there, though they drive like psychotics (I swear-two lanes painted on the pavement, four cars abreast-yikes!), and the food! Oh, the food. I'll never be able to eat at Taco Bell again. Real Mexican food is awesome.

Living in a house with my hubby's siblings was a blast! They are a great bunch of people. Of course, it helped that it was a HUGE house. So big you could be wondering where everyone else was cos you found yourself alone, even though everyone was there in the house. It was also a beautiful house.

We had a fabulous trip and I hope to go there again. I was also going to post pictures, but I've just discovered that when I stuck my camera card in my husbands laptop to look at the pictures the other day, his Mac took the pictures off the card. It is blank. So I'm gonna have to get him to put them on a cd for me first.

I did get a small amount of knitting done on the trip. I've got about 1/4th of a sock done. I knitted it on the beach, or the lanai, depending, to the sound of the ocean and the birds. It was very relaxing. I took 2 sock projects with me. I had every intention of working on Bayersche. However, I had taken my skein of Malibrigo with the green/teal/turquoise colorway and when I saw the beautiful turquoise of the ocean and the green of the palm trees I just had to knit with it instead. So I started a new pair.


I'm making this pattern up myself.

I did a limited amount of shopping while in Mexico. I had some problems with the gimpy leg, so there were times when a bunch of us went shopping and I stayed at the house with my leg up.

In Tulum I found myself a new knitting a bag.

The flower embellishment is embroidered in bullion stitch.


One of the souvenir shops we went to had some beaded jewelry. I found it all very interesting. I even found something I wanted, this bracelet.


It's a peyote base with fringe all over it.


Tomorrow I hope to upload a few of the pics I took in Mexico.

Before we left on vacation I acquired myself a new teaching job. I will be teaching knitting at Coeur d'Alene Yarn and Fiber. My first class is scheduled for February 12th, 10:30 am. I will be teaching How to Knit Socks on 2 Circular Needles. Contact the store for more info and to register for the class.

I am also scheduled to teach a Peyote Amulet bag class at Bead It in Post Falls that starts on Saturday February 21, 10:30 am. Contact the store for info and registration.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. All sounds very nice. Happy to hear that you have 2 teaching jobs. I'm sure that helps. I know it would help my self-esteem to have teaching jobs like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the reality of winter. You were missed.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time and you sure came back with some gorgeous souveniers. That knitting bag has me drooling.

    ReplyDelete