"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/13/08

First Xmas Gift Done

Enter My Contest

I was going to title today's entry The Shop That Won't Die, but then I finished the Deep Forest socks last night.



Pattern: My basic top-down 2-circular needle sock pattern with the following stitch pattern for the leg and instep:

Rnd 1- 8: K2, P2.
Rnd 9 & 10: Knit.
Rnd 11 - 18: P2, K2
Rnd 19 & 20: Knit.

Yarn: Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino Wool Sock Yarn, 2/24 acrylic for reinforcement thread.

Color: Deepest Forest

Needles: Size 2 Addi Turbo Lace Circular.

Cast On: October 25, 2008
Completed: November 12, 2008

Comments: I really enjoyed knitting this stitch pattern. I also am quite pleased with how well the yarn I used for reinforcement thread worked. It is a 2/24 acrylic, used on knitting machines (I have tons of the stuff in my knitting room), in a deep green that blended so well you can't even tell I added it to the heels and toes-except they feel a little cushier.

Close up of the stitch pattern.


Now, on to the Shop That Won't Die. Consider this venting. As my long time readers probably know by now, I used to own my own needlecraft shop. It was called the House of Needlecraft. On January 12, 2006 I closed the shop for good.

At the time, I was very careful to make sure I did everything necessary and correctly to close the shop. I sent letters to all my vendors, even the ones I'd only ordered from once. I even called the IRS, the Idaho State Tax Commission, and the other government agencies involved in owning a business to make sure I knew exactly what forms I needed, the proper procedures for filling them out, and filing them, and whatnot. I wanted everything to go smoothly, correctly, and be done with it.

To those of you who own a business and are planning to close, be warned, it takes years before you're done with it all.

It seems, despite my efforts, very few folks I dealt with recognize the fact my business is gone. I've had the IRS demand withholding for employees I didn't have working (cos the shop is closed-gone-no one earned anything), I've had the State Tax Commission demanding sales tax for non-existent sales, the Social Security Administration keeps bothering me about how much an employee I had working for me for 3 months earned (arrgh!), the unemployment agency wants unemployment for non-existent employees, vendors keep sending catalogues, etc, etc, and now the credit card company I had a card with wanted to update their records with my current address cos the statements keep being returned (they've been sending them to the shop address, which no longer exists). They called last night, while I was trying to cook dinner.

They also wanted to know why I haven't used the card since January 2006. I distinctly remember closing that account at the time I closed the shop. I think I've finally convinced them of that. What amazes me is they had statements bouncing back to them for almost 3 years and they just now thought of calling me at home.

The stupid, it burns!

After a couple weeks of dark, dreary, rainy days it is sunny today. It's absolutely gorgeous out. I'm gonna have to see about taking the dogs for a little walk after it warms up a bit.

Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. The socks are gorgeous! I really like the color and the pattern. I think I will use that pattern for my next pair of socks. Thanks for sharing it.

    I think we now have the bad weather that you had a few days ago! Rainy, cold and gloomy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are beautiful! Where can I find the pattern: My basic top-down 2-circular needle sock pattern. I would like to do 2 socks on circulars someday, but no time right now. Keep on knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely colour and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great socks. That stitch pattern looks nice and elastic and manly enough to male socks. Plus it shows off the yarn nicely. As always, you've done an excellent job of matching yarn and pattern.

    Sorry about the Shop that Won't Die. That must to totally frustrating to get those requests, no doubt with threats of what will happen if you don't comply.

    ReplyDelete