"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/9/08

Dogwood and Hummingbirds

I had intended to post this yesterday, but obviously didn't manage to do it. So I will post it today.

In my last post I talked about getting out one of my unfinished counted cross stitch projects and working on it. I have done that. I'm just not in the mood for knitting and beading this week. The hardest battle I've been fighting since becoming afflicted with the blood clot of doom is the mental battle. Trying to stay positive is hard for me because I'm naturally a half glass empty kinda girl. Counted cross stitch is the ultimate stress releaser for me. I have to concentrate totally on it, whereas with knitting and beading my thoughts can wander all over the place. So, I need to focus the thoughts away from the bad things, and this is how I'm doing it. It's working.


This picture is called Dogwood & Hummingbird. It's based on a painting by Canadian artist Sue Coleman. I love her paintings. Most of them feature Pacific Northwest animals, and have the northwest Indian symbol for that animal in them.


The cross stitch patterns are available through her own stitching business called The Stitching Studio. As you can see above, I only have part of one flower and one bird left to do, and the blue background. I'm stitching the picture on a piece of 28 count evenweave Lugana fabric in a butter yellow. I'm stitching over 2 threads, and using DMC cotton floss. I started this picture a couple years ago. I really need to finish it.

The weather prediction for today is 20% possible snow showers. I don't think it's going to go that far, but it is pretty chilly outside. There are grey clouds scudding across the sky, but we get bits of sunshine every so often. We got a hard frost last night, so the flowers are done for the year.

I walked to the mailbox and back yesterday afternoon. That is quite an accomplishment. And I did it without painkillers. Yes, I have taken myself off the brain muddling meds. I'm not without pain now, but it's at a level I can put up with. I can't stand the prescription pain killers. They so mess up my brain, and they give me bad dreams. I had a very peaceful nights sleep last night. I see light at the end of the dark tunnel I've been in. Now, to make sure I don't OVER do it!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment