"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/16/08

WIP Wednesday 7/16/08


I finally got around to taking the pics for my gusset tutorial yesterday, so I can finish my second Opal sock. I had to install the camera manual on my lap top first to find out how the self timer works (it works pretty slick, actually. I'm quite pleased with it). Who's idea was it to put a camera manual on a disk???? Someone incredibly cheap and thoughtless, that's who. I can't take the manual with me to consult it when I need it. Arrrgh.... the only thing I don't like about my camera. Non-portable manual. (I'm sorry, I am not hauling my lap top up granite mountain sides!)

I'll probably have this sock done tonight cos I've only got 4 inches to go (I worked on it after this photo was taken).


This is what my needles look like after picking up the gusset stitches. I don't do that whole "transfer 9 heel sts to the other needle" and all that crap bit for the gusset. About 3 pairs of socks ago I was looking at what I was doing and wondering "Why? There's an easier way to do this." When I get to the toe, I don't have to juggle and transfer sts around before I can start decreasing either. That is what the tutorial will be about.

I also cast on the stitches for the second Charade sock. Now that I've blocked the first one, I'm liking the stitch pattern with the yarn a little better. It does show up. Just not as much as I thought it would. The pics do not do the color of this yarn justice. It's a very rich and royal purple.


Speaking of Ruth, she is working on a second pair of fingerless gauntlets. They will be a gift for one of her friends. She raided my sock yarn stash for the yarn. She picked an old out-of-print Opal colorway. I let her have what she chose (after all, I've got so much sock yarn I'll be 500 years old before I get to that particular skein.)

I was kind of thinking I'd save some of the out of print Opals for my retirement savings. I figure in 10 years or so they'll be worth a fortune on Ebay. Heh heh....if I don't knit them up first. At one time I had 24 copies of Alice Starmore's book Tudor Roses. I stupidly sold them for a pittance during my shops going out of business sale. I wish I'd kept them. They're going for well over $350 bucks on Ebay now. Sigh. I had no idea that would happen.

Anyway, back to the subject, I got pics of Ruth's finished gauntlets yesterday. I'll post them tomorrow.

On the finding a kennel for the boys front: Not having any success. My first and second choices will both be closed during the time we're going to be away. What's with that? I've been given a referral by my first choice. I'll have to see if they're available.

On the weather front: The big winds did not come yesterday. It was a great relief for the firefighters. It's going to be one of those perfect days today. I think I'll sit out on the deck and knit for awhile.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment