"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

5/23/08

Lace Frustration



AAAARRRGGH!!!!!!




Thanks, I needed to get that out of my system.

I am giving up on trying to make my lace pattern idea work. It doesn't, plain and simple. Well, it does if I want to do a lot of complicated increases and decreases. On size 0000 needles with size 8 perle cotton? I don't think so. I can do it, but most couldn't. I don't want to make my patterns that difficult in this book (it's supposed to be a FUN book!), and since the laws of knitting physics are refusing to budge on my behalf, I will have to come up with some other less dramatically beautiful idea. Phooey! It would have looked so cool if the laws weren't so darn stubborn. There is a bright side to this, well, actually more than one.

1) I understand lace construction better than probably 99.999... percent of the knitters out there.

2) I've become really really good at frogging teeny tiny little stitches and putting them back on the needles-without a magnifier!

3) I've developed awesomely even tension in stockinette stitch on said teeny tiny stitches.

I'm taking a couple days off from this project to clear my head and work on the Pomatomus sock over the weekend. Maybe I can get it done.

Speaking of socks, this morning, to relieve some of the pent up frustration, I surfed the web for free sock patterns. Ravelry lists quite a few-over 1800. But I went looking for some that may not be on Ravelry. Sheesh! A person need never purchase a book on socks there are so many! I thought I'd share a few of the places I found.

Knittychick has a web page devoted to links to almost 600 free sock patterns:

Boogie Knits has a link list of several hundred:

Socknitters group:
Sock Patterns

Wendy Knits:
Sock Pattern Links


My sock yarn stash isn't nearly big enough to knit all those.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment