"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/11/08

WOW! Entry for April

I'm gonna kill 2 birds with one stone-figuratively speaking. I'm gonna post my April WOW! and brag about my newest sock yarn acquisition.

Even though this yarn is technically new, I did not buy it, and it is in my stash--now.

Yesterday I received my prize from the contest I won last October. I really like it. It's nice and bright, very springy in color.




You'll notice a yellow arrow in the photo. It's pointing at the senders name. (I have blocked out the address on purpose.)


Yes, that is Barbara Bretton the famous romance novelist. She knits!

I discovered this bit of info while digging around her blog, Romancing the Yarn. I'm not one for Romance novels, but I decided the least I can do is read one of her books since she so generously and sweetly sent me my prize months later after I won it. I went to the library yesterday to get one, and they are ALL checked out (they're popular!). So I'm on the waiting list for the first one that comes in. Which title doesn't really matter since I'm not familiar with Barbara's work. Who knows? I might really enjoy it and then I'll have a whole new section at the library to read.

In addition to heading to the library, I also called my daughter Ruth about this. She wants to be a paid writer of fiction in the worst way. So having yarn from a real author elevates my status in her eyes. I think I will knit her a new pair of socks with this yarn.

In addition, something else cool happened. I'm not usually one to gush over/about celebrities (unless Pierce Brosnan were to show up at my door), but when it comes to authors, I really admire. I have a secret wish that I too could be getting paid to write-which is why I'm writing the book on beaded knitting.

Anyway, one of my most favorite authors is Monica Ferris. She has written a series of murder mysteries about a gal, Betsy Devonshire, who owns a needlework shop in a small town in Minnesota and keeps stumbling into situations where she is solving a murder. These books are by no means great literature, but very entertaining. I own the whole set, and am anxiously anticipating the next one to come out, Thai Die.

I've been reading Monica's blog, Killer Hobbies. The other day I left a comment. She emailed me. I have an email from Monica Ferris. Woot!

We had sunshine all day yesterday. It actually got above 50F degrees! I got to spend some time in it too. Course, with the snow melting fast, there's lots of snow mold laying around. So I woke up this morning feeling like death warmed over. That's okay. It's worth it. Today the sun is shining too, and it's supposed to be a little warmer than yesterday. I plan to sit out on the deck, in the sunshine, sucking up snow mold, and knitting.

The white spot is indeed a tomato sprout. Hurray!

Yes, yesterday was a very good day indeed.

The weather man is still telling us 70F degrees on Sunday. Heh heh...we'll see.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I love your sock yarn! I think I need to start my own sock club; just package up 12 projects from my stash, wrap them nicely, then open one a month. That's a great idea. Not that it will keep me from shopping...

    ReplyDelete