"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/20/08

Still Learning New Things About Him

I like to learn something new every day. My father-in-law used to talk to me about that. He loved learning new things too. He was 79 when he passed away. He'd been learning just that morning-trying to figure out how to make a concrete dam on the creek in his back yard, came in to take his usual short morning nap, and peacefully passed away in his sleep. That was a lot of years ago. I still miss him.

This weekend I made carrot cake, with cream cheese frosting. I don't know why I don't make it more often. It's easy peasy to make, and it's one of my favorites to eat.


After Sweet Hubby ate his first piece he said something I never knew. Carrot cake is his favorite. 26 years of marriage, and I'm still learning new things about him. I will make Carrot cake more often.

I had plans to work on the book this morning. Those plans got shot down last night when I unexpectedly found a tutorial on Turkish Loop Crochet. I ended up spending the morning searching for more info on this interesting bead crochet technique. There isn't much else out there, at least, in english anyway. I'm kind of wishing I could read German, or Turkish, now. There's probably loads of info in those languages. I want to try this out in the worst way. Need to visit the bead store first. (Yahoo!)

I received several of the books I ordered yesterday. Both Joy Gammon books have arrived, and I am happy happy happy. They are stuffed with cute patterns.



Knitted Cats is a two part book.
If you flip it over , it's Knitted Dogs.


I'm kind of disappointed in one of the crochet toy books. The patterns are for very small toys and I like to make them a little bigger. They aren't very cute either. At least, not to me. I'm sure others will find them adorable (like daughter Sarah).

But the other one has some awesomely cute patterns in it.


The most interesting of the books, though is Bead Crochet Snakes by Adele Rogers Recklies. I read the whole thing cover to cover this morning. It's about the history of Turkish Prisoner bead crochet that took place during World War I, as well as some history on bead crochet snakes in general. I had no idea about this until I read the book. I just bought it cos it sounded interesting. I guess it is! There are a few patterns too, which I need to try.


The weather man was partially right about the weekend weather. It did snow early Saturday morning. But it's been nice and dry since. In fact, the sun is shining today, though it isn't warm out. The arctic breeze coming from the north sucks all the heat out of the air.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment