"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/13/08

Ferdinan

I have not heard from the winner of my contest yet. I am surprised by that. It is bothering me somewhat too. Especially since a couple days ago I tracked down a way to send her an email and did so. If I don't hear from her by Saturday morning, I will have my daughter draw another name. (Amazingly, I have NOT eaten the chocolate bar yet.)


Ladies and Gents, I present to you Ferdinan!


A close up of his face. I used 6mm craft eyes, and I put a bit of blush on his nose and cheeks so they glow a bit.



Pattern: Yuletide Gnomes by Alan Dart

Yarns: Unknown brands of worsted weight 100% acrylic in tan, purple, and peach. 1 skein Dark Horse Yarns Lovely Lash in color #102, 1 skein Sensations Cello in white.

Needles: Size 5-24 inch Addi Turbo Lace Circulars, Size 10-24 inch Addi Turbo Circular.

Comments: I love love love this pattern. Can't get enough Gnomes. I knit the size small, but instead of using sport yarn and size 3 needles, I used worsted yarn and a size 5 needle. I followed the instructions as written. He came out 18 inches tall from the tip of his hat to the bottom of his feet.

For the beard, I had to make some adjustments. I used the same needles as the pattern suggested. I had to double strand the fur to get gauge as it was. Here is the beard pattern as I knit it:

With size 10 needles and fur yarn, cast on 3 stitches.
  • Knit 2 rows of stockinette.
  • -Increase 1 stitch at the beginning and end of the next row.
  • -Knit 3 rows.
  • Repeat the last 4 rows 5 more times. There will be 15 stitches.
  • Increase 1 stitch at the beginning and end of the next row.
  • Purl the next row.
  • Cast on 7 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. (31 stitches)
  • Stockinette stitch for 6 rows.
  • Bind off.
I did a bit of embellishment to his hat. I embroidered a sort of broken line that spirals around and around his hat using 1 strand of the purple worsted. I also added laces to his boots.

Changes I'd make: I think the size medium would have been a better choice. I'm not happy with the length of the arms and legs. They need to be a bit longer.

We need a good rain. My eyes are still driving me crazy, and now my skin itches too. I'm getting my annual little itchy rashes on my arms. I'm taking meds, which is keeping it to a minimum, but still. The itching is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!

I'm off to have a close personal relationship with a tube of Hydracortizone cream.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Ferdinan is pretty freakin' sweet!

    -Charo

    ReplyDelete