"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/16/08

Beating the Winter Blues

When you are only 8 inches tall, 3 to 4 feet of snow can be really really depressing. So, to beat the winter blues, one must be creative. Being their mothers fur kids, mine are very creative. Case in point: I was putting some groceries away.

Silver, why are you so interested in that bag?



Ah ha!


Mom, do you mind?


I got the crocheting done on the rope. All I need to do is sew the ends together. Will be doing that for the class I'm teaching today, since they will be needing to know that to finish their bangle bracelets.

I am not lonely now. Daughter Ruth came home for the weekend. Sarah is home from her trip too. The three of us went to Toro Viejo for dinner (a nice little Mexican restaurant in our town-owned by actual Mexicans. The food is great!), my treat. It was wonderful spending some time with my daughters. I really enjoy them now, all grown up. We can have real conversations.

After dinner we came home and watched Hello Dolly with Barbara Streisand and ate Coconut Cream Pie. Wow, can that woman sing! And you can not watch that movie and walk away feeling blue. Just what we needed-since it was snowing and we weren't happy about it. (I am so SICK of snow!)

I've made some progress on the second of Franks brown socks-halfway through the leg. I've come to a stand still on the Baby Surprise jacket, mostly because I do not like the way the increases are done. Elizabeth Zimmerman's method looks sloppy to me. It's making unsightly holes both sides of the stitch the increases are on. I'm researching and experimenting to find something I like better. I've knit and frogged the same 10 rows more times than I care to think about. It's sticky cos you have to do 2 increases at once, one on each side of a stitch, and I want it to look nice. I'm just picky that way.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment