"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/5/07

Must. Have. Gnome.

I have some interesting blogs in my Bloglines feed subscription. One is about knitted toys. I love to make knitted toys. Yesterday someone posted their latest creation. Knitted Gnomes. They are the most adorable cutest most fantastic toy pattern I have every seen in my life. I MUST have that pattern!!!!

I thought about 'stealing' one of the Gnome pics to post here, so you could see what I'm talking about. But, I just couldn't do that to the knitter. So, do me a favor, click on the below link, look at them, then hit the back button to come back here and finish reading this post.

The most adorable knitted Gnomes in the Universe



Oh, wait. I found one I can steal. I've Googled until I found the information I needed. I share it with you so you don't need to do the research.

This is a pattern designed and written by a fellow named Alan Dart that was featured in a UK magazine called Simply Knitting a few years ago. Apparently, it's so popular they've put it in a new book, which I have ordered, just so I can have this pattern. The book is actually patterns from past issues of the magazine. I'm looking forward to seeing what else it has to offer. I've always loved British knitting patterns for machine knitting. (I used to pay a fortune to subscribe to a couple of them.) I would expect the hand knitting ones to be just as nice.

Upon more investigation, I found Alan Dart has a whole bunch of really neat toy patterns, which are sold by Sirdar. A very talented fellow, but I like the Gnome the most.

Must. Have. Gnome.

Why isn't his stuff being sold in the U.S.? There are some really really talented designers in other countries. Today I am so happy to have the internet. Without it, I would not know about these other designers.

Today I am so happy to have a credit card. Can't have Gnomes without it.

I wish I'd discovered this during the summer. I'd be making Gnomes for all my loved ones for Christmas. Gnomes Gnomes, beautiful Gnomes.

How did I manage to live all these years without a Gnome? I shall make Gnomes for Knit Wits next year. Lots and lots of Gnomes.

Have a Gnomey day!

1 comment:

  1. You are right, gnomes from Alan Dart pattern are WONDERFUL :o)) It is a really great pleasure to knit the little fellows :o))))
    I agree: YOU SHOULD KNIT GNOMES!
    Hope you get the book soon.
    Happy 2nd Sunday of Advent.

    ReplyDelete