"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/17/07

I Think I've Been Short Yarned

On my way to bead group, yesterday, I stopped at the post office and asked Roger to weigh the Garter Rib sock and the left overs of the skein. A person can do those kinds of things in a small town post office. I wouldn't try it in a larger city though. They'd probably get irritated.

Anyway, Roger weighed the sock and said it's .9 ounces. The skein weighs 1.1 ounces. He then declared "You have enough." What I found interesting was that I don't think it's the first time someone has asked him to do that. I thanked him profusely for his help while the customer behind me laughed her head off. She thought the whole thing was hilarious. Here's the first sock. Isn't it purty?



I've cast on the second sock. However, a question comes to mind. 1.1 oz + .9 oz = 2 oz. This is supposed to be a 3.5 oz skein. Where is the missing 1.5 ounces??? I'm seriously suspicious. I think I've been short yarned. I've been knitting from the center (after all, that's the whole point with pull skeins, right?) and I've been quite frustrated with how much the inside is a tangled mess. Huge globs of knots have had to be undone while working on these socks. This just adds evidence to the possibility of having a short yarned skein. Sweet hubby said "What difference does it make if you've got enough for the second sock?" I paid close to 20 bucks for 3.5 ounces. Not 2. It's the principle of the thing. Sigh...I don't want to think about this anymore.

On to more positive things. At bead group I finished a Biva Nepal style bracelet. I call this the Raspberry bracelet. I started it last spring, but got side tracked. Decided to finish it yesterday because I've got a friend with a birthday coming up tomorrow. I'm going to give this to her. I think I'll pop a little piece of silver safety chain on it first though. There's a magnetic clasp on this bracelet. They tend to come apart if snagged on anything. I don't want my friend to lose her bracelet because of that.


This is the polymer clay button I made for the swap bracelet. Not my best work, but it is the best I could do. (I've still got a LOT to learn about working with polymer clay.) I don't know how to smooth that top out any more than I have. I used my Dremel to polish it as best I could. It does have a nice sheen to it that doesn't show in this photo though. I'm not showing the whole finished bracelet because there's a chance the partner who gets this might visit my blog. I want the bracelet to be a bit of a surprise. That's part of the fun of a swap like this.


I took this picture of my Burning Bush yesterday. It's getting prettier and prettier each day.



Oh yes, one more thing. I was a bad girl last night. I found a really great sale on Opal yarn at Little Knits, an online knitting catalogue. At 47% off, I couldn't resist. I've ordered some solids. I've got tons of printed sock yarns. I need some solids for the more intricate stitch patterns I want to do.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment