"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/2/07

Addi Turbo Lace Needles-An Opinion

As planned, I started the next pair of socks yesterday. I've decided on the Garter Rib pattern in Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. I'm using Austermann Step yarn in the Navy colorway which is a variegated in light navy, tan, brown, and grays. It stripes, but not in a fairisle manner.

A month or so ago I bought a pair of 24 inch circular Size 3 Addi Turbo Lace Needles because I wanted to try them out. The claim is they are more flexible and easier to knit with on thin yarns. So I cast on the new sock on them.

I like them. They are definitely different than the regular Addi Turbo circulars. I don't know if I'd say the cables are more flexible. They seem the same to me. What I like is they stamped the size and length on the cable--and I can actually read it! That is cool.

The needle tips are sharper than the average. It makes it so much easier to knit smaller stitches. So the tips are a hit with me. I've often wondered why needle manufacturers insist on making them so dull on the ends.

The finish on the needles is very very smooth, but just a bit sticky. This bothers me because I'm used to slick needles. But it's making less dropped stitches, and I can see the advantage if I were doing a lot of K2togs and pass overs. A definite plus when knitting lace, so I will get used to them.

Really, my only complaint is the length. When I knit socks on 2 circulars I prefer 20 inch needles. 24 is just a bit too long. 16 is way too short. 20 is just right. Unfortunately, Addi Lace don't come in 20. The extra 4 inches is driving me CRAZY! I can only hope that eventually Skacel will offer these needles in a 20 inch length.

I have been thinking about trying to knit 2 socks on 2 circs at the same time. Not with this project because the yarn would make that difficult (I want the socks to match, more or less). However, I have plans for some solids and I'm definitely going to try knitting both at the same time. In that case, 24 inches will probably be perfect.

I also bought a set for making the Honey Bee Stole. I'm glad I did. They'll work wonderfully for the project.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment