"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/13/07

Sock News

I finished the second Monkey sock. Hurray! I've got a pair. When I went walking with C and J I took them along for a little show and tell. J asked if I was going to enter them in the fair. Oops! Is it fair time already? I wasn't going to because the stitches where I changed needles looked really sloppy. I washed them when I got home-they're first washing on the gentle cycle, then a trip in the dryer on the knits cycle. Then I steam blocked them. They came out beautiful! What's more, the uneven stitches had evened out. I gathered them and all my other fair offerings and headed for the fair grounds. I forgot to take a pic of the socks before going. So we'll have to wait until fair time is over. Maybe there'll be a ribbon to include in the pic.

I've entered 5 knitting projects (red mohair scarf, Monkey Socks, slip-stitch wool hat, Morgans red cable sweater, and a beaded knit amulet bag), 1 crochet (bead crochet rope lariat), and 7 beaded items (2 Christmas ornament covers-one green and one purple, West African netted necklace, peyote chevron bracelet, tubular peyote necklace, dream catcher earrings, and cabochon-in-black necklace).

It's been a few years since I've entered anything in the fair. I used to be quite involved with it. I entered stuff all the time in the hand and machine knitting, crochet, and counted cross stitch depts, and even offered special coupons for people who won ribbons at my shop. But when the girls started college I found myself unable to go anymore. At fair time I was helping pack, load, haul, and unpack my daughters to school. This year, though, Ruth went down a week early.

Now I need to start a new pair of socks. If I'm gonna be in a Sock a Month KAL, I better knit socks! I was trying to decide whether to start a pair of mens socks (which would require a less than exciting stitch pattern cos the man in question is pretty conservative) or maybe a pair of wild hot pink variegated Jaywalkers cos I'm dying to try that pattern? Then I popped over to the Socktopia blog, another sock KAL I've just joined. Ooooooo----a mystery sock for this month. My interest is peaked. I'm going to make that. Now to pick a yarn, cos the hot pink ain't gonna work.

Bead group today. Have no idea what I'm gonna work on. It is Kathryns birthday though, so we'll have cake. Goody!

Have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. That Socktopia sock looks interesting. I'll be watching to see how yours comes out.

    ReplyDelete