"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/29/07

North Idaho Fair 2007 Report

I won ribbons on all 14 of my entries this year. I entered 6 knitted items, one crochet, and 7 beaded. Here are pics-I took most of these at the fair. I missed a couple items, so I've posted other pics for them. For a better look at each individual item, click on the links (they go to my flickr album)

In the beaded category I entered the following:

Far left-West African Netted Necklace. Blue ribbon

Middle- Red Beaded Knit amulet bag: Blue ribbon

Right- Bead Crochet Lariat: Blue ribbon and Grand Champion. That one was a big surprise, since it's my first bead crochet project.



Another angle.


Sculptural Peyote Chevron Bracelet: Blue ribbon


Purple Victorian Ornament Cover: White ribbon (and I thought they were incredibly generous). My bugle ladders were a little too tight, so the fringe loops wouldn't lay quite properly.



Grace Victorian Ornament Cover: Blue ribbon.


Upper left- Dream Catcher earrings: Blue ribbon.

Center-Peyote Spiral necklace in green: Blue ribbon

Right- Dichroic Cabochon in Black: Red ribbon. I need to work on my fringe laying better.


Knit Dog Sweater: Blue ribbon. I made this for Morgan. The pattern is Dogs In Knits by Judith L. Swartz. It's the sweater on the cover of the book.


My Monkey Socks: Blue ribbon. I'm especially proud of this one.


Lace knit mohair scarf: Blue ribbon.


Piggy Piggy won Blue too!


Slip Stitch Hat: Blue ribbon. This is a pattern in a Vogue Knitting magazine. Unfortunately, I don't remember which issue. I used Cascade 220 for the main/solid color, and Noro Kureyon for the variegated. I got a point deducted for not weaving in the ends of my pom-pom knot. I don't do that because I like to untie them and take the pom-pom off when I wash the hat. But the judges have no way of knowing that.

Last, but not least, here is a pic of my sweet daughter petting an Australian Dragon Lizard (or something like that). They had a display of live reptiles, amphibians, and owls that was really fascinating. I pet the lizard too. He was quite friendly.


There wasn't as much knitting and crochet as there usually is, which is a little disturbing. Hopefully, the entries will increase next year. I saw some awesome entries though. There were a couple of knit lace tablecloths that were absolutely stunning. I'm a long ways away from doing something like that. Some day though.

Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Congratualtions on all your riboons -- beautiful work! I also do some beading but certainly not at your level. I wish our state fair was as specific as yours because it would make it much clearer. It is very vague and leads to this type of resentment. I personally do not think that I am a professional, but would be under your definition, which would be fine. It would at least be consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just surfed in thru something-or-other. Just wanted to say your peyote bracelet BLEW me out of the water. I love the colour and the design!
    Also, your daughter is petting a bearded dragon. I used to have one, and she was a real prima donna. (Had to be fed by hand, you know. Too good to eat out of a dish!)

    ReplyDelete