"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/3/07

Introducing My Grandkitty and Ruth's B-day

Went to Sarah and Franks for dinner on Wednesday and got to meet our new Grandkitty. He was adopted from the local Humane Society shelter. He's one and a half years old. He's lived in the shelter, cooped up in a cage, for several months. He was adopted a couple times, then returned. He had some sort of virus when he was a baby that destroyed the lining in his little sweet nose, so his nose runs and he sneezes great gobs all the time. My daughters great big heart opened to him, and she's given him his forever home. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Meadowlark.



Isn't he just the cutest kitty? I love his face. He has the biggest green eyes I've ever seen on a kitty, and he's an absolute love muffin. He was quite interested in my camera.




No, he's not growling. I caught him mid-yawn.


Auntie Ruthie played with him.



He made himself at home on Grampa's lap.



While waiting for dinner, I decided to finish the last seam on the Pea Pod Cardigan. What is it about knitting that attracts a cat? As far as we know, Meadowlark has never seen knitting. Yet, as soon as I took the sweater out of my bag, he just hopped into my lap and settled in until dinner was served, watching me with great interest ('cept when this pic was taken).


All I have to do on the cardigan is sew on the buttons. I'll take photos after I've done that.

Yesterday was Ruthie's 20th birthday. I can't believe my baby is 20! I got her up early (for her) and we escaped the house for the day and had some fun.

First, we went to the post office and got that application in for her passport. She'll be needing it for our Mexican cruise. Sweet hubby and I got ours the end of 2005. It took about 6 weeks then. Now it takes 12 to 14 weeks! I'm glad we applied now.

After that we popped into Harmony Yarns, a little shop in Coeur d'Alene, and I ordered some Oatmeal Tatamey Tweed yarn, which is a sport weight cotton/acrylic blend by Kraemer Yarns. I carried this yarn in my shop and I just love it. I'm going to knit a swimsuit cover-up from Vogue Knitting magazine. I'll give details later, after I start the project. I sure hope it doesn't take long for them to get the yarn in. I need all the time I can get for this project.

I took Ruth to Olive Garden for lunch. I was meeting a bunch of friends anyway, so took her along. I think Olive Garden just may be her most favorite restaurant. I've taken her there for her birthday 3 years in a row. We had a wonderful time, and the food was scrumptious!

After lunch, I decided to take her to see the Simpsons Movie. She's been dying to see it. It was pretty funny. Definitely irreverent humor. Everything sacred was picked on and made fun of. We both loved it.

On the way home we stopped at the IGA to pick up a few groceries and who do we run into? My brother-in-law Chet and his wife Diane! HURRAY!!! They've been living in England the past few years and we've missed them something awful. They were scheduled to move back here in August. However, I didn't know it was gonna be the first of August. I was SO thrilled to see them, and issued an invite to come to our house for birthday cake later, which they accepted.

We had a small family party last night. Just us, Frank, and Sarah. For dinner I made meatloaf. My family LOVES my meatloaf. For the first time, though, I used Buffalo meat. IGA had a couple weeks there where it was available so I bought a few packs and chucked them in the freezer. Anyway, it was DE-licious! I did fried red potatoes with garlic and rosemary, Caesar salad, garlic bread, and sliced watermelon. It was all very very good.

Chet and Diane showed up about 15 minutes or so after dinner. So I got out the birthday cake. I got an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen decorated with M&Ms and "Happy 20th Ruth" in bright blue. 20 candles is a lot to blow out. But she did it.

While I was getting the cake ready to serve, Chet asked Sweet Hubby how old he'll be when Ruth is half his age. Never ask a mathematician a math question. Before long paper and a pencil had to be found and complicated algebraic equations had to be written out and solved.

After some time Ruth says to Sarah "You know, there's an easier way to figure that out. How old was Dad when I was born?"

Sarah says "28."

Ruth says "Double that, and that's how old he'll be."

I look over at the guys, and they are still busily trying to solve their algebraic equations, so I interrupted them and informed them "the genius daughter solved it in just a few seconds." Ruth told them how. Uncle and Dad looked sheepish. Everyone had a good laugh.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet cat. How wonderful for him to find his home with your daughter. I love cats but am allergic! Phoo! my sister has two and they are loves. as I always say- keep knittin' kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww such a cute cat,,Happy belated B-day to your daughter..Sounds like you all had a great day always nice to run into family & have a good time with friends

    ReplyDelete