"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/9/07

Weekend Bracelets

It turned out to be a fairly creative weekend for me. I got the first sleeve finished on the baby cardigan, and some beading done too. I also got the strawberry patch weeded. Considering how hot it's been, that is quite an accomplishment for me. I did get a slight overdose of sun which resulted in a nasty headache last night. Should have worn my hat while weeding. I seem to be okay today.

First pic, our new deck. I spent quite a bit of time out on it over the weekend, cooling off in the shade of the umbrella. It looks so pretty with the flowers blooming in the planter boxes. We're really pleased with how it's turned out.




First weekend creation. I did a bit of experimenting with tubular netting. Came up with this bracelet doing a 2-bead netting rather than 3-bead. It has a small bit of stretch to it, which I really like. I used two colors. A Japanese matte pink size 11 with silver lining, and some size 10 seed mix I got at Michaels for cheap that are sort of a pearlized transparent white lined with bright colors. I used a silver toggle for the clasp.


I like the pink one so much I decided to make a black and gold one. These are Japanese black opaque and silver lined light topaz seeds. You'll notice the stitch makes a spiral pattern. Kind of neat. I'm wondering if there's a way I could create other types of color patterns with this, besides a spiral. I will have do play around with it a bit.


Some months back I'd done a cabochon with branch fringe around it. After it was done I didn't quite know what I wanted to do with it. I knew I wanted a necklace, but what kind? I was surfing around on Rubysbeadwork.com and found an interesting necklace she'd made using a donut and a spiral rope. She'd put a couple peyote rings on the back of the donut so you could thread the rope through them and have a really cool necklace. It's a very clever idea. I decided I could do that to my cab. It took awhile for me to get around to it, though. It's finally done. I made a 45 inch lariat using the Spiral Rope stitch. The rope has a core of silver lined green size 11 Japanese seeds, and the outer spiral is a soup mix I made myself with several kinds of size 11 purple seeds. I really love the way it turned out. Click on the pictures to see larger versions.

Fun With a Purple Cab Necklace


A view of the back side of the cab.


The rope and cab separated. I can wear the rope knotted or cabbed. I like versatility.


Have a great day folks.

1 comment:

  1. HAve been hunting for a Cellini Spiral tutorial and found your site :-) All I can say is a lady who loves Italians and beading is a woman after my own heart. All the best :-)))
    Sara

    ReplyDelete