"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/18/07

So Much for Yard Work

I had big plans for today, if the weather was nice. The prediction was for partly cloudy and in the 60's. I was gonna start the spring yard work. HA! Fat chance. Oh, yes, the weather was beautiful. Over 60F, warm enough to go without a jacket in fact. But no yard work. Instead, hubby talked me into going for a bike ride with him, his brother, and sister-in-law on the Coeur d'Alene Lake Bike Trail.

I've been sitting on my butt all winter. The thought of riding with him was not pleasant to me. My hubby is a hard core bike rider. He rides his bike to work in the summer time. That's a 20 mile ride one way. He likes to ride UP mountains. Three summers ago he actually did 100,000 vertical feet total. If I ride with him, in the time it takes me to go a mile or two, he's buzzed up ahead 5 miles and back. It's frustrating for me, because I'd like to be able to keep up with him. But back injuries and surgery have slowed me down considerably, and then there's the aging too (which SUCKS!). I love riding my bike, but it is difficult so I don't do much of it. My favorite ride is the Hiawatha trail up in the mountains. It's 16 miles, but all downhill. I usually buy a ticket for the shuttle back up the mountain. I admit it. I'm a wimpy rider.

Well, I got talked into going today. I was considerably anxious all the way to our starting destination. What if I can only go a mile, or even less. I will be so mortified, embarrassed, etc etc. The usual anxiety attack I get in these situations. He promised it would only be a couple miles. 45 minutes at the most he said. HA! I should have known better.

We started at the Black Rock trail head and rode all the way to the Meadowmont trial head and back. That was 11 miles!!!!! The truly amazing thing is I WAS ABLE TO DO IT! Oh, don't be fooled. I hurt. I'd like to have my right knee removed because it aches so bad. But, I did it! Wow. There's hope for me yet.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go walking with Cindy and Jean--2 miles. Groannnn.... I sure hope I can. Aleve is probably going to be the word of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment