"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/13/16

Fun With Star Trek

I have finished all my Star Trek doll uniforms.

This is Captain Penn.



I can not believe how well this little sweater fits him. I loosely based it on a pattern for another doll, and adjusted it while I was knitting it (I wrote it all down so I can do it again.). I fully expected the sleeves to be either too long or too short, and they were perfect. Damn, I'm starting to get good at this knitting thing.

The sweater is made with Berroco Folio, which is an Alpaca/Rayon blend. I really love working with this yarn. It's so soft to the touch. The black neck band is a bit of Wool Gatto from Lana Gatto yarns that I found in my stash. It's a superwash wool that's been in the stash a long time. I carried it in my shop. It's no longer being made. That's sad cuz it's a wonderful yarn. I used size 1 needles for this project.

For the insignia, I embroidered it on a piece of stiff interfacing. I even went to the trouble to put the proper symbol on the insignia, though they're so tiny it's hard to see it.



Then I cut it out. I ran a black permanent marker around the edges because the edge of the white interfacing was visible. Then I glued it on the uniform shirt with some Aleenes Tacky glue.

I decided to embroider the Captains rank stripes on the sleeves too. I strive for accuracy.



I got lucky on having a communicator. My Spock doll has that and a tricorder that came with it. Both items fit my Wilde dolls perfectly.

Science Officer T'Amber.



Yes, she's a Vulcan. Can't have Star Trek TOS without a Vulcan on board. This dress is made with Briggs New Boy, which is a yarn my daughter Sarah gave me. She bought it while she and her husband were on their honeymoon in Norway. It's a superwash wool, and a very nice one. I wish I had more of this. Again, I used the Wool Gatto for the neckline. Size 0 and 1 needles. Doesn't that tricorder look perfect with her? Penn thinks so too. Good luck with that, Penn.



Engineering officer Ellowyne.



Who says girls don't like engines? Ellowyne loves tinkering with them. She's very good at it too. Only the best get to serve on the Enterprise.

I knit this dress with a fingering weight yarn my daughter gave me that she bought in Norway. It has no label, and it's rougher than a brillo pad. Actually hurt my hands to work with it. I soaked the dress in hair conditioner for a bit to soften it up some, not that Ellie will mind it. She has no nerve endings. I have a skein of this in a lovely shade of blue too. I don't see myself using it.

Here are the girls together.



And now, with the handsome Captain Penn.



I spent about 2 hours outside yesterday setting up for my contest photo entry. It came out fantastic! It's all ready to enter, as well as the poem that goes with it. I'm ready for this contest! And very excited!

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment: